An early morning inferno in Sokoto had killed 2 members of one family and left 3 others unconscious, LEADERSHIP gathered.
The incident which happened in a compound directly behind Trade Fair Complex, Old Airport, sokoto within the metropolis badly affected 2 flats.
When LEADERSHIP visited the affected compound, sympathizers were wailing in agony for the affected family members.
Narrating what transpired, somebody from the compound who preferred anonymity said, they suspected the cause of the incident to be a posible spark from a generator set.
According to him, the incident happened at about 4am Saturday morning.
“From what we gathered, one of the daughters raised alarm after she saw fire in the sitting room at about 4am and the father woke up to the rescue but before then, 3 of the other siblings as well as their mother were already unconscious”.
In his eye witness account, a Good Samaritan and compound member, Christian Bassey who also help in putting off the inferno with the combined effort of State Fire Service said, he cannot say precisely what time the fire started.
He said however, that, he was woken up by shout from within the compound at about 5am. “I don’t know the cause of the fire but I came and saw occupants of one of the affected flats lying down outside unconscious. Instantly, I started assisting in the effort to put off the fire”.
“I saw the mother and her two sons and one daughter and another small boy of about 2 years that also stay with them all laying down outside. But since then, I am yet to hear about them because as you can see, we are still clearing the debris”
LEADERSHIP gathered that, both the members of the family who were unconscious were responding to treatment in one of the hospitals within the metropolis at the time of filing this report.
Sokoto State Police Command Spokesperson, DSP Sani El-Mustapha said, he will brief LEADERSHIP accordingly as soon as he gets formal report from the Old Airport Divisional Police Officer in charge of the area.