Three days after Madalla bomb blast, security operatives, comprising the state security services, soldiers and civil defence corps, are still keeping watch at the site of the blast.
Vehicles are being diverted and prevented from passing through that portion of the road, thereby causing hardship to the residents living in the adjoining villages.
When our reporter visited the site of the blast, heavily armed security operatives were seen securing a perimeter that had been erected and residents were seen walking long distances before being able to get to the bus stop.
Most residents told our reporter that they were happy with the continued stay of the operatives as their presence had calmed the tension and fear of revenge attacks.
Peter Idoko said: “If not for the continued stay of soldiers, I am sure a riot would have broken out in this community because a lot of people are angry with what happened last Sunday.”
Another resident, Mustapha Yahaya, said the incident was unfortunate but maintained that it must not be seen as a fight between Christians and Muslims.
He said, “We have been living together in peace for a long time and I know that those who did this are not from Madalla. If we start fight and killing ourselves, we will be doing exactly what the enemies want us to do.”
LEADERSHIP reports that Muslims in the town have been living in tension over a possible reprisal from their irate Christian neighbours on Friday during the jumat prayers following the Christmas Day bomb attack on worshippers at St Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, which has so far killed 32 persons.
Meanwhile, apart from keeping vigil at the site of the blast, soldiers have been patrolling the villages around Suleja to restore the confidence of the residents. Attempts to speak to security men there were rebuffed.