The Police Service Commission (PSC) yesterday made known its findings and subsequently announced the dismissal of Hassan Zakari Biu for his complicity in the escape of Kabiru Sokoto from police custody.
In a statement signed by the head of media in the commission, Mr. Ferdinand Ekpe, on behalf of the chairman, Mr. Parry Osayande, the PSC said Biu’s dismissal took immediate effect and was the outcome of his culpability in the escape of Sokoto.
Biu, former commissioner of police, was accused of masterminding the escape of Boko Haram kingpin Kabiru Sokoto from police custody. His dismissal yesterday from the Nigeria Police followed the recommendation of the Force Disciplinary Committee (FDC) set up by the PSC to try the suspects.
Sokoto is the suspected mastermind of the Christmas Day bombing of St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, that killed no fewer than 55 people.
After Sokoto was rearrested by the State Security Service, a combined security team was set up by the national security adviser, to investigate the role of Biu and others in Sokoto’s escape and recommended them for trial by the FDC.
The PSC headed by Osayande then proceeded to set up a five-man committee comprising of five assistant-inspectors general of police to conduct the trial.
Sokoto reportedly astounded security operatives when he confessed that senior police officers had a hand in his escape after their palms had been greased by underground members of the Boko Haram sect. This confirmed speculations that there was police collaboration in Sokoto's escape.
After Sokoto made allegations against Biu and Biu was allowed to defend himself, the FDC concluded the trial of Biu and five other alleged accomplices in the Sokoto escape saga. The committee submitted its report to the chairman of the PSC, Osayande, who in turn handed it over to the acting inspector-general of police, Muhammed Abubakar.
IGP Abubakar was said to have returned the report to the commission for implementation of its findings
Lamorde promoted, 13 CPs now AIGs
The commission also announced the promotion of some deserving officers to deputy inspector-general (DIG) while some commissioners of police (CP) were also elevated to assistant inspector general of police (AIG).
Those elevated to DIG include Suleiman Dauda Fakai, Atiku Yusufu Kafur, Emmanuel Kachi Udeoji, Haruna John, Peter Yisa Gana, Marvel Akpoyibo and Abdurahaman O. Akano.
Promoted commissioners of police include Solomon E. Olusegun, Michael E. Zuokumor, Orubebe Gandhi Ebikeme, Philemon I. Leha, Jonathan Johnson and Dan’azumi Job Doma. Others are Joseph Ibi, Muktari Ibrahim, Suleiman A. Abba, Mamman Ibrahim, Tsafe, Saliu Argungu Hashimu, Solomon E. Arase and David O. Omojola.
The commission also approved the promotion of the chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim A. Lamorde, to the rank of deputy commissioner of police.
Explosion in Kano as JTF arrests 4
Gunshots and explosions rang out yesterday in Kano, as the military exchanged fire with suspected militants of the Boko Haram sect.
Clashes between Boko Haram and security forces have flared up several times in Kano since the sect killed 186 people in Kano last month, its deadliest attack so far.
"There was a shootout and four arrests were made while the early morning operation lasted," local spokesman for the Joint Military Taskforce (JTF) Ikedi Iweha Ikidichi said, declining to take further questions.
Boko Haram, which is waging an insurgency to try to impose sharia law across Africa's most populous nation, has become increasingly sophisticated and deadly in its methods in the last six months.
It often sets off multiple bombs in succession or follows them up with shooting sprees.
It had claimed responsibility on Tuesday for attacks in its home base in the northeast town of Maiduguri this week which killed at least eight people.
"We were stopped from coming out for our early morning prayers, we couldn't leave the house. About 5 a.m. (0400 GMT) the gunshots and explosions started," Stephen Ahmed, a Kano resident, told Reuters by phone.
A spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency said there were as yet no recorded casualties from the fighting, noting that it mostly happened in the early hours when a curfew was still in force in Kano.
Although the majority of the sect's attacks still occur in its home base in the northeast, its threat has spread and it has become more ambitious.
No casualty in Kano explosion –NEMA
Following the reports of explosion which occurred in Hotoro yesterday, an outskirt in the Kano city, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has said that there is no casualty.
The chief press secretary of the agency, MallamYushau A. Shuaib, confirmed that there was no recorded casualty so far.
According to him, the incident occurred at about 5am when restriction of movement was still in place due to a curfew imposed.
He said adequate security had been put in place at the locations to arrest the situation.