Three suspected Boko Haram members died on Friday after an explosion at a bomb factory in Kaleri, Maiduguri.
Col. Victor Ebhaleme, the Field Commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) on Operation Restore Order (ORO), told newsmen in Maiduguri that the incident happened at about 10.30 a.m.
He said residents of the area were attracted by the big sound in a residential area at Kaleri and they alerted the JTF.
“On arrival, our men discovered mutilated bodies of three persons, suspected to be Boko Haram militants. Apparently, they died while preparing the bombs.”
Ebhaleme added that several unexploded Improvised Explosive Device (IED) were also found in the house, which was completely destroyed by the blast.
“Several bomb making apparatus were also found in the house,” he said.
The JTF boss urged residents to always alert the force with useful information on suspicious movements in their locality, as security was a collective business.
Meanwhile, the ongoing assault on schools in Maiduguri had continued, with the burning of a private school, the Maiduguri Innovative School, which has a primary and a secondary school in the same compound.
Neighbours told newsmen that they heard a loud sound at the school in the night, but discovered in the morning that the school had been destroyed by fire.
“The authorities of the school sent the students back home when they arrived in the morning,'' said a neighbour who pleaded anonymity.