There was an early morning fire that engulfed a small part of the National Stadium in Lagos yesterday according to SuperSport.com. It was learnt that the fire was caused by an electric spark in a restaurant and bar within the complex.
The fire affected a commercial part of the complex as fire fighters ensured that the inferno did not spread beyond the area close to the D-Entrance of the National Stadium in Lagos.
Other parts of the stadium remained intact after the fire was put off as security was tighten up with the complex. Despite of the early morning incident, activities resumed again at the complex as boxing gym close to the affected area was a beehive of activities with boxers training.
The National Stadium in Lagos was built in 1972 to serve as the main venue for the 1973 edition of the All Africa Games. But the sporting edifice has been abandoned since 2001 as it has been reduced to a haven for squatters.