The clash between two factions of a youth group on the Bukuru road in Jos on Wednesday left five people seriously injured, the military Special Task Force (STF), has said.
The STF Spokesman, Capt. Salisu Mustapha, told newsmen on Thursday in Jos that the five people, who were injured, sustained gunshot wounds from the exchange of fire between the two factions.
``There was an exchange of fire between two factions suspected to be Berom and Hausa youths along Bukuru road, Jos on 13 June 2012.
``In the process, five people were shot. Troops of the Special Task Force which heard the gunshots rushed to the scene and recovered one fabricated revolver with seven rounds of 7.62mm (Special).”
Mustapha said the situation had been brought under control by men of the STF while investigation by the state Police Command had commenced, to ascertain the cause of the incident.
He challenged members of the public to allow security agencies to take control of the situation when such incidents occur.
The spokesman warned members of the public to desist from taking laws into their hands as security agencies would not tolerate any act of lawlessness.
Mustapha urged all law-abiding citizens to go about their lawful activities as security agencies were on top of situation in the state.
The State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abuh Emmanuel, confirmed the incident but said that investigations were still ongoing to unravel its cause.
``The suspects were handed over to the Police and the Command commenced investigations into the incident immediately but no further arrests have been made.”