Agroup, which claimed to be Fulani citizens, who fled Zonkwa and other parts of Southern Kaduna, have claimed responsibility for the incessant killings in the area.
This is just as LEADERSHIP gathered yesterday that over 300 armed military personnel had been drafted to comb all the flash points and also tighten security around the Internationally Recognised Grazing Fields (IRGF) in some parts of the state which have very thick forest boundaries with Plateau and Bauchi states.
The thick forest had been taken over by the military to ensure the arrest of the assailants. These thick forests, LEADERSHIP gathered, are located between Idon village of Kajuru local government area and Agunu, a Ward in Kachia local government area.
LEADERSHIP investigation revealed that the routes in this forest link to Ladduga, Pambegua, Saminaka and Toro in Bauchi State.
The forest in question is a thick one, a wild bush that before now has no static security agencies’ patrols and monitoring.
It is presently a stateless and non-police route. The area is a purely cattle route spanning hundreds of kilometres and stretching from all parts of Kaduna state to both Bauchi and Plateau states, which makes it a haven for those terrorising Plateau, Bauchi and now Kaduna states.
In a purported letter left to the people of Zonkwa, a copy of which was made available to LEADERSHIP, the group said it attacked Tabat village, near Zonkwa as revenge for what was done to its people, even as it promised to carry out more attacks.
The letter titled ‘To the people of Zonkwa,’ written in Hausa reads in part:
“The last Friday operation at Tabat village is just a little out of many we are planning to do. Since we were killed en-mass in Zonkwa town and indeed Southern Kaduna, killings have just begun; even the soldiers and the police cannot stop us. Time would come when the soldiers and the police too will run away. You can do whatever you want to do as far as we are concerned, we have sacrificed our lives for this battle. There is no retreat, not surrender.
“Governor Yakowa and President Jonathan have no power in our disposal. Dear friends, you better be ready very soon. We will react again.”
As if to confirm the story, the council chairman of Zango Kataf local government, Mr. Dominic Gambo Yahaya, while speaking to LEADERSHIP said the serial attacks on the villages was a fall out of the post-presidential riot in the state.
Meanwhile, Governor Yakowa through his spokesperson, Reuben Buhari has reacted to the matter saying that, said “Security has been intensified in Southern Kaduna and increase effort is on by all security agencies to apprehend the culprits. The people in Southern Kaduna should be extra vigilant and remain calm.”
But a top security source, who spoke to LEADERSHIP on condition of anonymity, said “the military will remain in all the routes of the international grazing areas.”