The federal government is set to commence mass evacuation of Nigerians stranded in Libya.
This revelation is sequel to the efforts of the federal government’s delegation led by the minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyema and comprising the director general of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Engr Mustapha Maihaja and other heads of relevant agencies connected to human trafficking.
The delegation, on Wednesday, arrived in Libya to commence the process of massive evacuation of Nigerians stranded in the North African country back home.
The actual evacuation is expected to commence today with the airlift of the stranded Nigerians by two indigenous carriers engaged for the exercise.
A total of 5, 037 stranded citizens have been identified for the evacuation back home.
The Nigerian mission in Libya is to coordinate the identification of the Nigerian migrants with the support of the International Organisation for Migration and will be joined by a technical team for the evacuation exercise comprising representatives of all relevant agencies.
A reception centre has been established in Port Harcourt where the returnees on their arrival will be formally received and profiled before being transported to their various states.
The evacuation exercises will be anchored by the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and coordinated by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) with the involvement of all the relevant agencies.
The federal government delegation that arrived Libya is made up of the minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyema; senior special assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa; director general, NEMA, Engr Mustapha Maihaja; comptroller general of the Nigerian Immigration Service, Muhammadu Babandede; director general, National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Julie Okah-Donli; federal commissioner, National Commission for Refugees, Sadiya Umar Faruq and representatives of other security agencies.
Troops Rescue Another Chibok Schoolgirl, Salomi Pugo
The Nigerian Army has said its troops of Operation Lafiya Dole deployed in Pulka, Gwoza local government area of Borno State, have rescued one of the Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in 2014.
The deputy director public relations, Theatre Command, Operation Lafiya Dole, Col Onyema Nwachukwu, in a statement in Maiduguri, said the young girl identified as Salomi Pugo is the same as the Chibok schoolgirl published on serial number 86 of the list of the abducted Chibok girls.
Nwachukwu said, “Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole deployed in Pulka today rescued one of the Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram terrorists earlier in 2014.
“So far, preliminary investigations revealed that the young girl identified as Salomi Pugo is the same as the Chibok girl published on serial 86 of the online list of abducted Chibok school girls.”
He said currently, the girl who was intercepted in the company of another young girl, Jamila Adams about 14 years old with a child, are in the safe custody of troops and receiving medical attention.
JUST-IN: I’m Not In Coma, My Driver Not Dead – el-Rufai
Ranking Ex-Govs Move To Take Over Senate Presidency
INEC Decides On Bauchi, Kano, Rivers, Sokoto, Others Today
Election: No Rerun In Bauchi, Rivers – INEC
We Are Recruiting, NNPC Confirms
HEALTH23 hours ago
Three Or More Eggs A Week Can Increase Risk Of Heart Disease, Early Death, Study Reveals
OPINION7 hours ago
INEC’s Somersault On Bauchi Gov’ship Poll
NEWS11 hours ago
How I Plan Run Amnesty In My Second Year – Dokubo
COVER STORIES11 hours ago
I Won’t Interfere In Gov’ship Rerun–PMB
NEWS18 hours ago
Nigeria Army To Hold 3 Day Outreach In Sokoto
NEWS24 hours ago
Prisons Service Set To Interview Candidates For Recruitment
BUSINESS11 hours ago
FG Begins Evacuation Of Cargoes To Kaduna ICD By Rail
COVER STORIES11 hours ago
16 Generals Redeployed In Fresh Army Shake-up