Residents have reportedly fled Ndoro community in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa for fear of invasion by security agents following alleged beheading of a security operative by militants.
Our correspondent learnt on Friday that the murdered security official was negotiating with militants in the area to surrender their arms.
According to a resident, the community was thrown into apprehension on Monday “after the lifeless body of the ‘security emissary’ was seen in the community without his head.
The source said the victim could not be identified because he was in plain clothes.
“The community has been deserted as we speak due to fear of imminent manhunt for the militants behind the dastardly act,” the resident said.
However, the Bayelsa State Government on Friday called on the fleeing members of the community to return home, saying everything was under control.
Daniel Iworiso-Markson, the state Commissioner for Information, said Governor Seriake Dickson had held a meeting with security chiefs, officials of the military high command, and leaders of the community over the incident.
The Commissioner said the member representing Sagbama/Ekeremor federal constituency in the House of Representatives, Fred Agbedi, also attended the meeting.
Mr. Iworiso-Markson, in statement on Friday, said the meeting resolved that the military should move into the community to return normalcy, while the government begins a peace process.
“His Excellency Governor Seriake Dickson met with very senior security chiefs and the military high command as well as leaders and key stakeholders to decide on the steps to take and it was agreed that the military will move in to provide the needed peace.
“So we call on all those who have fled the community to return. There is no cause to be scared as government has intervened to ensure that the situation is brought under control,” the statement read in part.
The government called on all who had fled the community to return home, assuring that with the presence of the military they could go about their normal businesses.
The government said the situation had been brought under control by the state government’s quick intervention, while expressing regret over the incident.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: email@example.com
- SPONSORED12 hours ago
How To Last For 25 Minutes Longer In Bed, Permanently End Pain And Embarrassment Of Weak Erection
- OPINION14 hours ago
Buhari And Fake News Of His Death
- COVER STORIES16 hours ago
Again, PMB Meets Govs Over New Minimum Wage
- NEWS21 hours ago
Allegations Over My Certificates Diversionary – Ashiru
- FEATURES10 hours ago
‘Why Atiku Will Defeat PMB’
- COVER STORIES16 hours ago
APC Goes Tough On Aggrieved Members, Orders Withdrawal Of Court Cases
- BUSINESS14 hours ago
Shutdown Of Telecom Services Imminent In Abuja, 8 States
- NEWS15 hours ago
NAF Destroys Boko Haram’s Staging Area, Vehicle Workshop