Connect with us
Advertise With Us


Dana Air Incident: NCAA Wades In To Recertify Aircraft



The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) yesterday deployed  a four-man team to recertify one of Dana Air’s aircraft that was involved in an incident at the Abuja airport.

It was reported that the emergency exit door of a Dana Aircraft fell off after landing and while taxing at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), yesterday. The report further alleged that some passengers of the airline expressed fear when the door of the aircraft fell off upon landing.

Confirming the incident, spokesman, Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Mr. Sam Adurogboye said a four-man team had been raised to re-certify the aircraft. He said only after the certification to ascertain whether it was airworthy again before it would be released to embark on flight operations.

“The plane when landing and taxing, the emergency exit door came down, that was the report I heard also and I had to quickly find out also. I found out in our system and I was told by Airworthiness that Dana air notified them and they have raised a four-man team to go and look at the aeroplane. The report of our team will confirm to us what really happened,” said Adurogboye.

The aircraft however, is said to have been flown back to the Lagos airport. But in an official statement made available to LEADERSHIP and signed by Dana Air spokesman, Mr. Kingsley Ezenwa, he said the door would not have fallen off without a conscious effort by a passenger to open it.

He said “we wish to state categorically that this could never have happened without a conscious effort by a passenger to open it. By design, the emergency exit door of our aircraft are plug-type backed by pressure, which ordinary cannot fall off without tampering or conscious effort to open by a crew member or passenger. We also wish to enlighten the author that, when an aircraft is airborne, it is fully pressurized and there was no way the seat or door could have been ‘shaking’ as insinuated.”

Ezenwa further stated that, “thorough inspection was however carried out on the said aircraft upon landing in Abuja, by our engineers and a team from the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), and no issue was reported.

“There was also no threat to safety at any point. The flight was only delayed for eight minutes as we needed to demonstrate to the regulators that the safety and comfort of our guests is at the centre of our operations”, he said.