The government of Ghana has issued an alert, warning members of the public on the possible outbreak of Lassa fever.
Ghana Health Services (GHS) also cautioned all Divisional Directors, Regional Deputy Directors of the Service and public health care facilities of the likelihood of outbreaks of Lassa fever.
The GHS in a release explained the disease has already affected several countries in West Africa with over 300 cases and 31 deaths in Nigeria and this has necessitated urgent spontaneous national response actions among all neighbouring countries.
The GHS recommend the following to all health workers and institutions:
1. Surveillance on Lassa fever and Acute Haemorrhagic Fevers in general (using case definitions) should be enhanced.
2. Suspected cases of Lassa fever should be managed in specific isolation conditions
3. Health workers should adhere to regular Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) measures to prevent and protect against possible nosocomial transmission
4. Blood sample from suspected case(s) should be taken and safely packaged and sent to Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR) for laboratory investigations
5. All levels (National, Regions, Districts and Facilities) are requested to update their preparedness and response plans for Lassa fever and VHF in general, sensitize the respective staff and create necessary public awareness.
25m Refugees Travel 2bn Kilometres Yearly For Safety – UNHCR
The United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) has said that no fewer than 25 million refuges across the world...
Nigeria Has All It Takes To Be “Power House In Agriculture In Africa— Adesina
Dr Akinwumi Adesina, the President African Development Bank (AfDB) says Nigeria has all it takes to be “a power house...
Ogun Speaker Says Osoba Exemplary Leader
Mr Olakunle Oluomo, the Speaker, Ogun State House of Assembly, has described Chief Olusegun Osoba, a former governor of the...
Cleric Enjoins Christians To Live Godly Life
A cleric, Rev. Maxwell Onyia, has enjoined Christians to live a Godly life as many people are now spending years...
Army Provides Portable Water In 2 Borno LGAs
The Nigerian Army on Sunday said it had constructed boreholes in two local government areas of Borno as part of...
Sanwo-Olu Tasks Institute On Deepening Taxation Practice
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has tasked the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) to be proactive on...
Ekweremadu Congratulates Abaribe, Others
Former Deputy President of the Senate, Chief Ike Ekweremadu, has congratulated minority principal officers of the 9th Senate on their...
NEWS22 hours ago
Zulum Blasts INGOs Over False Claim On Projects
NEWS21 hours ago
Kaduma Govt Retains 14 Ministries, Adds Three New Ones
CRIME23 hours ago
Army Arraign 14 Officers, Soldiers Accused Of Murder, Kidnapping
NEWS21 hours ago
We Are Ready To Pay Counterpart Funds For Devt, Gov Yahaya Assures.
COLUMNS9 hours ago
The Myth of Islamisation And A Contrasting Reality
NEWS11 hours ago
FG Approves N208b For Tertiary Institutions
Others22 hours ago
Private School Teacher Hangs Self In Kano
COVER STORIES11 hours ago
Senators Who Survived The Odds In Their Constituencies