It was reported that 82 people died on Indonesia’s Java island after drinking home-made alcohol.
Setyo Wisasto a police spokesman said the victims died in West Java province and Jakarta after consuming cheap home-made alcoholic drinks, He said 80 others have been hospitalised.
Authorities in the city of Bandung declared a health emergency after 45 people died there.
Dozens of people die each year from methanol poisoning in Indonesia, where alcoholic drinks are expensive.
Experts say local home brewers do not have the technology to ensure that the methanol, which is highly toxic when ingested, has been separated correctly to render the drink safe to consume.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: [email protected]