Connect with us
Advertise With Us

AFRICA

Ebola Vaccine Gets Approval To Use In Republic Of Congo

Published

on

World Health Organisation (WHO)

The World Health Organization has been given the go-ahead by officials in the Democratic Republic of Congo to import and use an experimental Ebola vaccine in the country, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Monday.

“We have agreement, registration, plus import permit, everything formally agreed already,” Tedros told reporters. “All is ready now to really use it.”

Vaccinations could begin by next Monday, he said.

The vaccine, developed by Merck in 2016, has proven safe and effective in human trials, but it is still experimental as it does not yet have a license. It must be kept at -60 to -80 degrees Celsius (-76°F to -112°F), creating huge logistical challenges.

The shot, which was tested in Guinea in 2015 at the end of a vast Ebola outbreak in West Africa, is designed for use in a so-called “ring vaccination” approach.

This would mean that when a new Ebola case is diagnosed, all people who might have been in recent contact with them are traced and vaccinated to try and prevent the disease’s spread.

The WHO said earlier on Monday that the Democratic Republic of Congo had reported 39 suspected, probable or confirmed cases of Ebola between April 4 and May 13, including 19 deaths.

It said 393 people who identified as contacts of Ebola patients were being followed up.

Tedros traveled to Congo over the weekend and flew to the remote area, still only accessible by motorbike or helicopter, where the deadly hemorrhagic disease has broken out.

“Being there is very, very important. If a general cannot be with its troops in the front line it’s not a general,” he said.

“And the second thing is, associated with Ebola there is stigma. We have to go and show that that should really stop. And if there is risk, my life is not better than anyone.”

He praised the Congolese government, including President Joseph Kabila whom he met during his trip.

Information about the outbreak in Bikoro, Iboko and Wangata in Equateur province was still limited, the WHO said, but at present the outbreak does not meet the criteria for declaring a “public health event of international concern”, which would trigger the formation of an emergency WHO committee.

 

Advertisement
Comments

MOST READ

BUSINESS5 mins ago

Iran Nuclear Deal: Iran To Breach Enriched Uranium Limit In 10 Days

Iran has said it will breach on 27 June the limit on its stockpile of enriched uranium that was capped...

NEWS11 mins ago

IFAD Donates 300 Bags Of Fertilizer, Seeds To Flood Victims

The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) has donated 300 bags of fertilizer and rice seed to 100 victims of...

NEWS2 hours ago

Father’s Day: Obaseki Salutes Sacrifices, Assures On Policies To Expand Economic Opportunities

The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has celebrated the role and sacrifices of fathers in ensuring the stability of...

NEWS3 hours ago

Ex-lawmaker Urges FG To Pay Attention To Aged Citizens

By Jerry Emmanson, Abuja Former Senator representing Imo East, Sen. Eze Ajoku has called on government at all levels to...

NEWS4 hours ago

SGF: Coalition Considers Appeal By Ohanaeze Ndigbo   As An Assault On The People Of North-Central Zone

The Coalition of North-Central Youth in Politics (CNYP), after an extra ordinary emergency meeting held at Abuja, Federal Capital Territory...

NEWS6 hours ago

Insurgency: African Diplomatic Group Pledges Support For Nigeria

By Olorunleke Oluwapelumi, Abuja The African Diplomatic Group ADG in Nigeria has disclosed that it will support efforts by the...

WORLD6 hours ago

Hong Kong Protesters Demand Removal Of Leader

Hundreds of thousands of black-clad protesters in Hong Kong demanded yesterday that the city’s leader step down over her handling...

Advertisement

MOST POPULAR

%d bloggers like this: