Connect with us
Advertise With Us


Man Sentenced To Death Over Armed Robbery In Osun



An Osun State High Court, Ile-Ife Division on Wednesday sentenced a 38-year-old man, Jeremiah Idowu to death over armed robbery.

Justice AbdulRasaq AbdulKaeem, in his judgement said with the overwhelming evidences proved beyond reasonable doubt, he was convinced that the mighty hands of justice must fall on the suspect and therefore convicted and sentenced him to death accordingly to serve as deterrent to others.

Prosecutor Counsel from Osun State, ministry of Justice, Jacob Ayanyemi had earlier tendered the confessional statement of the convict and two witnesses with the submission that the case has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that Idowu robbed Kehinde on the fateful day.

Justice AbdulKareem pointed out that the prosecution Counsel has proved his case as all evidence including confessional statement from the accused, pointed to the fact that he committed the armed robbery crime.

He said “I therefore, found the accused person guilty of armed robbery charged preferred against him and hereby convicted accordingly.

During trials, Jeremiah Idowu, who claimed to be a herbalist hired Rasheed Kehinde, a motorcyclist, on May 23rd, 2005 at Toro Farm Area, Modakeke-Ife, while operating his commercial motorcycle business, to convey him to cut his herbal medicine.

On their way, they had a stop -over at Jeremiah Idowu sister’s house, where he collected a cutlass for the purpose of cutting the herbs.

When they got to the bush, the convict gave the victim his diary to hold for him, and assured that he would not run away.

According to the first prosecution witness, when they got to the bush, the accused asked him to wait for him, while he went into the bush to fetch the said herbs and that because it was already getting late, the accused person asked him to help him pick the herbs which he had cut down in a polythene bag.

According to him, when he bent down to pick the herbs, the convict hit him with cutlass he was holding and asked him to bring all the money he had with him and he handed over the sum of N7, 800 that was on him to the convict.

He said when the convict demanded for the key of the motorcycle, he took to his heels and the convict pursued him, but was forced to stop when he heard the sound of wood cutting machine.

He added it was after the exit of the convict that he went back to pick his motorcycle, returned home and narrated the incident to his parent who took him to Division “A” Police Station, Moore, Ile-Ife where the case was reported.

The convict who though made confessional statement to police denied the one-count charge of armed robbery preferred against him when arraigned.

However, Justice AbdulKareem found him guilty as charged, convicted him and sentenced the convict to death”.