The Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) said last night that there was no plan to rig the July 14 Ekiti governorship election.
A statement issued by the INEC Chairma’s chief Press Secretary, Mr Rotimi Oyekanmi said the allegations made by a serving governor that gave the impression that INEC was planning to rig the election in favour of a particular candidate was false.
“We wish to state unequivocally that the allegations are untrue and baseless,” Oyekanmi said, adding that the commission had since November 2015 successfully conducted elections into 180 constituencies without problem.
“These include five governorship elections carried out in Kogi, Bayelsa, Edo, Ondo and Anambra states. So far, nobody has accused the Commission of rigging any of these elections. All of the election results recorded so far testify to INEC’s ability to ensure that only the voters determine who wins an election.”
“We wish to emphasise that it is impossible for the commission’s officials, any individual or group for that matter to pre-load the Smart Card Readers (SCRs) or provide ballot papers for stuffing as alleged. Indeed, the SCRs which perform the three functions of identifying, verifying and authenticating the voter and the Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) can only function on the election day.”
INEC said additional results sheets that it issued to party agents at the polling unit and at every level of collation is now form EC60E to show election results at the Polling Units, which is the most important level.
“This form is pasted at every Polling Unit after collation. To that extent, no INEC member of staff, no matter how highly placed, can rig an election in favour of or against any particular candidate or political party.
This is as a result of the stringent processes and safeguards introduced by the Commission,” Oyekanmi added.
He said it is not true as alleged that three INEC officials have been meeting with one of the candidates contesting in the Ekiti governorship election.