One of these essential plants is the pepper fruit. Many people are unaware of the wondrous things they stand to gain from this fruit. Its botanical name is Dennettia tripetala.it is well known as mmimmi by the ibo people and Ata igebere by the Yorubas. It is a pungent , pepperish, spicy medicinal plant that is characterised by greenish appearance when unripe buy tends to be reddish or pinkish in colour when ripe. Pepper fruit can serve as food and herbs for producing herbal medicines. It contains both volatile and essential (oleoresins) oils.
Health benefits of pepper fruit
- Treats glaucoma: The seeds of pepper fruit can significant reduce intraocular pressure (IOP) up to 25% in people suffering from glaucoma. This shows that pepper fruit can be used in the prevention and management of glaucoma.
- Prevents and treats prostate cancer: Pepper fruit extract inhibits the growth of prostate cancer cell. The extract was found to possess growth – inhibitory and cytotoxic effects on the prostate cancer cell lines in vitro.
- Post-partum care: Pepper fruit seeds are essential for preparing food for newborn mothers immediately after childbirth as the spice aids in uterus contraction.
- Treats gastrointestinal diseases: The leaves ,fruits and roots of the pepper fruit can be used for producing herbal medicines for treating stomach upset, diarrhea, vomiting and worm infestation.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: The essential oil from pepper fruit contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. As a result, the essential oil be used for reducing body inflammation and pain
- Treats infantile convulsion: The leaves and fruits of the pepper fruit can be used for preparing herbal medicines for infantile convulsion.
- Minimizes cancer risk: Pepper fruit is an excellent source of flavonoids which have been proven effective for reducing the onset of cancer attacks.
- Treats typhoid: Its leaves and fruits can be used for preparing herbal medicines for treating typhoid.
- Anti-viral properties: Pepper fruit is effective for fighting viruses such as cold, cough and fever.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for our newsletter
- OPINION21 hours ago
Nnamdi Kanu’s Appearance and My Apology to The Nigerian Army
- HEALTH21 hours ago
3 Common Vaginal Infections You Need To Know About
- NEWS19 hours ago
FG Begins Monthly Payment Of 9,215 NITEL/Mtel Ex-Workers
- NEWS23 hours ago
Train Mows Down Crowd Killing Scores
- COVER STORIES7 hours ago
APC Moves To Stop Further Defections
- NEWS17 hours ago
5 Days After, Fayose Still In EFCC’s Custody
- CRIME23 hours ago
Gunmen Kidnap Traditional Ruler, Wife In Kaduna
- NEWS17 hours ago
Missing General: Army Denies Killing Woman, Warns Against Fake News