Libya’s Tripoli-based National Oil Corporation (NOC) announced the re-opening of four oil terminals after renegade General Khalifa Haftar agreed to hand over control of the ports.
The NOC, which declared a force majeure in July – a legal waiver on contractual obligations – said in a statement the measure had been lifted on the ports of Ras Lanuf, Es Sider, Zueitina and Hariga.
“Producing and export operations will return to normal levels within the next few hours,” the statement read on Wednesday.
Exports from the region’s ports were brought to a halt after Khalifa Haftar’s self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) seized control of the key installations from rival factions in June.
Ras Lanuf and Es Sider were shutwhen armed opponents of eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar attacked them on June 14 while the ports of al-Hariga and Zweitina saw their exports suspended on 2 July.
Ahmad al-Mesmari, a spokesperson for Haftar said at the time that proceeds from oil sales would go to the Tobruk-based government through a rival NOC in the East,.
“All the oil installations controlled by Libyan National Army are being handed over to the National Oil Company [NOC] dependent on the provisional eastern government that is headed by Faraj al-Hassi.”
This prompted the internationally-recognised Government of National Accord to (GNA), based in Tripoli, to refer the case to the UN Security Council, contending that the body’s resolutions were clear and that oil facilities had to “remain under the exclusive control of the [Tripoli-based] NOC.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: [email protected]