Militants loyal to the hardliner Islamic State (IS) group captured and beheaded Taliban commander Mullah Burjan on Wednesday, an official said.
“Amid ongoing fighting between Taliban and IS group in Darzab district the IS fighters captured Taliban senior commander Mullah Burjan early Wednesday and beheaded him,” Reza Ghafoori, government spokesman of the northern Jawzjan province, told Xinhua.
Scores of fighters from the rival groups, according to the official, have been killed in Darzab district over the past two days as Taliban and IS outfit are engaged in fierce fighting to gain more grounds in the strategically important district.
Neither Taliban nor IS group has made any comment.
Darzab and Qush Tipa districts in Jawzjan province have been the scene of heavy fighting between Taliban and IS militants over the past nearly two years. (Xinhua/NAN)
- Gunmen Abducts Traditional Ruler, 1 Other In Osun
- Police Places Embargo On Rallies, Public Procession, Others In Ogun Before May 29 Inauguration
- Insurgency: Vulture On Ariel Survillence Arrested In Adamawa
- DFID Presents Inclusive Education Policy Documents To Kaduna Govt
- Cultism: Rivers Govt Withdraws Recognition Certificate from First-Class Monarch
COVER STORIES13 hours ago
Investigation Sheds More Light On PMB’s Appointments
NEWS12 hours ago
Mob Sets Suspected Kidnapper Ablaze In Kaduna
NEWS23 hours ago
Taraba Govt. Bans Use Of Polythene Bags
COLUMNS11 hours ago
The Best Governors Of 2015 – 2019: An Objective Review
NEWS24 hours ago
Speakership: Buba Steps Down For Gbajabiamila
NEWS12 hours ago
Marafa Condemns Gov Yari’s Visit To Saudi Arabia
POLITICS12 hours ago
As Mark Takes A Bow From Active Politics
CRIME12 hours ago
AGF Drags 2 INEC Officials To Court Over Electoral Fraud