For a woman to look and feel good at every age, it important to take some smart steps to ensure overall health which in turn helps in defying the odds of rapid ageing. The wear and tear of daily living coupled with the inevitable multi-tasking duties every woman must undertake at one point or the other in life makes it imperative to imbibe healthy living habits as early as possible.
Here are six simple things that women can do every day (or with regularity) to ensure good health:
• Healthy eating will help you maintain a proper weight for your height, which is important because being overweight can lead to a number of illnesses. Looking for a healthy snack? Try some raw vegetables, such as celery, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, or zucchini with dip made from low-fat yogurt. Avoid foods and beverages that are high in calories, sugar, salt, and fat.If you’re not getting enough vitamins and nutrients in your diet, you might want to take a multivitamin and a calcium supplement to make sure you’re maintaining good health.
• You should eat as close to a natural foods diet as you can. That means a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and fewer processed foods. Eat a lot of grains and high-fiber foods and choose leaner cuts of meat, fish, and poultry. Include low-fat dairy products in your diet as well. Depending on your age, you need between 800 and 1,500 milligrams of calcium daily to help avoid osteoporosis.
• Exercising the body is also a way of maintaining good health and good body shape. Plenty of exercise can help keep your heart healthy. You want to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week, if not every day. Aerobic exercises (walking, swimming, jogging, bicycling, dancing) are good for women’s health in general and especially for your heart.
• Avoiding risky habits like staying away from cigarettes and people who smoke is another important thing women should know.Don’t use drugs. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. Most women’s health studies show that women can safely consume one drink a day. A drink is considered to be about 12 to 14 grams of alcohol, which is equal to 12 ounces of beer (4.5 percent alcohol); 5 ounces of wine (12.9 percent alcohol); or 1.5 ounces of spirits (hard liquor such as gin or whiskey, 80-proof).
• Manage stress. No matter what stage of her life daughter, mother, grandmother, a woman often wears many hats and deals with a lot of pressure and stress. You also can manage stress with exercise, relaxation techniques, or meditation.
• Wear sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15, if you are going to be outdoors for more than a few minutes. Excessive exposure to the sun’s harmful rays can cause skin cancer, which can be deadly, one of which is skin cancer. Warning signs Skin cancer include any changes in the size, shape, color, or feel of birthmarks, moles, or freckles, or new, enlarging, pigmented, or red skin areas. If you spot any changes or you find you have sores that are not healing, consult your doctor.
A woman’s health needs change as she ages, but the basics of women’s health remain the same. If you follow these six simple healthy living tips, you will improve your quality of life for years to come.
Court Dissolves 16-Yr-Old Marriage In Ibadan Over Persistent Quarrels
The President of a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan, Ademola Odunade, on Tuesday dissolved the 16-year-old marriage between one Rukayat...
Nigeria Needs 2million Toilets Per Year – Survey
If Nigeria must end open defecation by 2030, a new survey has revealed that the country would need to add...
NGO Takes Medical Outbreak To Kuje Community, Renovates Borehole
A non- governmental organization (NGO), Favour Open Arms Foundation (FOAF) in partnership with Always Sister’s Foundation has carried out a...
Appeal Court Removes Ekiti Monarch After 10 Yrs On Throne Over Irregularities
The Court of Appeal sitting in Ado Ekiti has removed an Ekiti traditional ruler, the Owa of Odo Ayedun Ekiti,...
Airbus Founding Figure Roger Beteille Dies Aged 97
European aircraft manufacturer Airbus announced on Tuesday that one of its “founding fathers,” French engineer Roger Berteille, died on June...
We Must Learn To Appreciate God, Abia Speaker
The Speaker of the Abia State House of Assembly, Engr. Chinedum Orji has stressed that people should always show gratitude...
Association Commends Sniper Ban By FG
Mr Shitu Kabir, the National President, Cowpea and Beans Farmers, Processors and Marketers Association of Nigeria, has called for outright...
COVER STORIES14 hours ago
CBN Kicks Off PMB’s 100m Jobs Project
COVER STORIES15 hours ago
Zamfara: Ex-Gov Yari Leaves N251bn Debt
NEWS3 hours ago
10 Killed In Wukari High Way Road Blocks
NEWS22 hours ago
Gov Fintiri Declares Free Education in Public Schools in Adamawa
ENTERTAINMENT1 hour ago
‘Don’t Link Me With Helicopter Incidents At Ore’, Says Julian Osula
WORLD5 hours ago
‘Mental Retardation’: Iran’s President Mocks Donald Trump
NEWS14 hours ago
Gov Fintiri Sacks LG Staff Employed From April 2016 To Date
FOOTBALL24 hours ago
African Soccer Wants Action Against Cameroon