Former archbishop Philip Wilson, the most senior Catholic official in the world to be convicted of concealing child sexual abuse, avoided jail after a judge on Tuesday allowed him to serve his 12-month custodial sentence in home detention.
Newcastle Local Court magistrate Robert Stone ordered Wilson to be detained at his sister’s home near Newcastle in New South Wales for at least six months, after which he will be eligible for parole, local media reported.
Wilson showed no emotion when the decision was handed down, according to the news agency Australian Associated Press.
The 67-year-old Catholic cleric was forced to step down as the archbishop of Adelaide last month after growing calls for his resignation, including from Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
He was convicted in May and last month sentenced to 12 months in custody for failing to report to police the repeated sexual abuse of two altar boys by a paedophile priest in the 1970s.
Wilson, who has been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer’s, has launched an appeal against his conviction.
The magistrate said Tuesday given the fact he had previously been of good character, and taking account of his age, mental and physical conditions, a home detention order was punishment enough.
Stone accepted Wilson was unlikely to re-offend but had to serve a period of detention to act as a deterrence to others.
Wilson was an assistant parish priest in East Maitland in regional New South Wales when the alleged abuse took place.
Wilson knew that priest James Fletcher was sexually abusing altar boys but dismissed their “credible allegations” because of his desire to protect the Church and its reputation, the magistrate-only trial found in May.
Fletcher was found guilty in December 2004 on nine counts of child sexual abuse and died two years later in jail.
During Wilson’s sentencing in July, Stone found the former archbishop had shown no remorse or contrition for the cover-up.
He also said Wilson’s primary motive had been to protect the Catholic Church.
Wilson’s case highlights Australia’s struggle to confront the prevalence of child sexual abuse in the nation’s Catholic and other institutions.
In December, a five-year-long Royal Commission inquiry into child sexual abuse found in 2017 that tens of thousands of children had been sexually abused between 1960 and 2015 in various Australian institutions, including schools, churches and other organisations.
It found that seven per cent of all priests had allegedly abused children and that 62 per cent of victims who reported abuse in a religious institution were from Catholic-managed institutions.
Last month, the government rolled out a 10-year national redress scheme costing three billion dollars,one of the inquiry’s recommendations – for survivors, who will be able to seek compensation from the institutions where the offences took place.
According to rough extimates, some 60,000 survivors of abuse are eligible for the compensation nationally.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: [email protected]
NEWS21 hours ago
Accept N65,000 Minimum Wage Or Face Industrial Strike, Labour Tells FG
CRIME6 hours ago
Murdered Banker Suffered Severe Brain Injuries, Pathologist Tells Court
NEWS6 hours ago
Osun Poll: PDP Accuses INEC Of Removing 4,387 From Party’s Valid Votes
OPINION21 hours ago
Reining In Al-Makura, Adamu To Save Nasarawa APC
NEWS15 hours ago
FG Appoint Abayomi Sheba Acting Chairman Of FCC Chair
CRIME6 hours ago
Police Arrest Lawyer With Fake Judgement Document To Evict Tenant
NEWS6 hours ago
Press Statement From The Wife Of The President
CRIME7 hours ago
Lagos Residents Seeks IGP Intervention Over Incessant Robbery Incidences