Lagos State Government on Sunday said the Third Mainland Bridge will be temporarily shut down for four days starting from midnight of August 23 to midnight of 26, 2018 for Investigative Maintenance Test to be carried out.

The State’s Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Ade Akinsanya, who disclosed this in a statement, said the decision was taken after due consultation with the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.

The four-day closure, according to Akinsanya, will enable the contractors assess the true state of the bridge after which works would commence by the end of the year or early in 2019.

It would be recalled that the Federal Government had earlier announced plans to shut the bridge in July, but had to be shelved after due consultation with the state government and wide deliberations with other stakeholders, who expressed concern about the indiscriminate parking of articulated vehicles on other alternative routes which would have adversely affected traffic.

Subsequently, a Joint Task Force set up to remove the articulated vehicles from the highway was able to achieve tremendous success.

To this end, the state government appealed for the cooperation, support and understanding of all motorists and residents, advising them to minimize non-essential travel and movements during the four-day closure.