A doctor has become the first probable Ebola case in one of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo’s “high insecurity zones” which are dogged by militia violence and hard to access, a scenario “we have all been dreading”, the WHO said yesterday.
Since the outbreak erupted on Aug. 1, 103 confirmed and probable cases of Ebola have been identified in North Kivu and Ituri provinces, including 63 deaths, the health ministry said in an overnight update.
The doctor living in Oicha town in North Kivu has been re-hospitalised with Ebola symptoms after his wife was confirmed as having the disease when she traveled to the nearby city of Beni, Dr. Peter Salama, the World Health Organization’s head of emergency operations, said.
Oicha is almost entirely surrounded by ADF Ugandan Islamist militia, there are “extremely serious security concerns”, he said. Aid workers, priests and government officials are held hostage in the area, he said.
The doctor’s initial test for Ebola – which causes vomiting, fever and diarrhoea – had been negative, but fresh results are awaited.
So far 97 of the doctor’s contacts who may have been exposed to the virus have been identified, and vaccination has begun in the town, he added.
“So for the first time really we have a confirmed case and contacts in an area of very high insecurity. It really was the problem we were anticipating and the problem at same time that we were dreading,” Salama told a news briefing.
WHO and health experts reached Oicha with armed escort by MONUSCO troops this week, he said, adding: “We know from that incident now in Oicha we are going to have to operate in some very complex environments due to security and access concerns.”
In a further worrying development, angry youth burned down a health centre in another village, where vaccinations were under way, after learning of a death from Ebola, Salama said.
More than 2,900 people have been vaccinated against Ebola since the outbreak began, he said.
“We are at quite a pivotal moment in this outbreak in terms of the evolution of the outbreak epidemiologically and in terms of the response,” he said.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: email@example.com
- CRIME22 hours ago
Saudi Prosecutor Reveals Who Gave Order For Khashoggi’s Killing
- NEWS10 hours ago
Niger Gov Condemns Automatic Ticket To David Umaru, Sabi
- METRO18 hours ago
4 Family Members Die, Others Hospitalised After Eating `Amala’
- NEWS10 hours ago
Maryam Sanda: Police, Dry Cleaner Give Conflicting Testimonies
- FEATURED9 hours ago
Sokoto Guber: Between APC’s Forces And Tambuwal’s Return Bid
- NEWS23 hours ago
Nigerian Lady Gets Unexpected Surprise After Asking Ex-Boyfriend For Airtime
- NEWS21 hours ago
Pastor, 34, Arraign In Court Over Alleged Carnal Knowledge With Members Wife
- NEWS16 hours ago
Army In Top Gear To End Insurgency – Buratai