Cold and flu are one of the most common sickness prevalent during raining seasons and school sessions. Being sick with the flu can be quite miserable for the affected individual as the combination of body ache, fever, chills and nasal congestion, can be quite hellish.
In order to avoid and prevent the almost inevitable flu from visiting your kid, parents loved ones or you this season, it’s best to ensure that you indulge in these simple preventive lifestyle habits. The items below can be found in every home and has high antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties plus immune-boosting ingredients, which in turn prevents colds and flu.
1. Chicken soup: Studies have found that chicken soup is effective for reducing the symptoms of upper respiratory infections in particular. Low-sodium soup also carries great nutritional value and helps keep you hydrated. It’s a good choice, no matter how you’re feeling.
2. Warm Salt Water: Salt-water rinsing helps break nasal congestion, while also removing virus particles and bacteria from your nose. Mix 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of warm water. Use a bulb syringe or nasal irrigation kit to squirt water into the nose. Hold one nostril closed by applying light finger pressure while squirting the salt mixture into the other nostril. Let it drain. Repeat two to three times, then treat the other nostril.
3. Raw honey: Pure natural honey is packed with antioxidants that prevent damage from free radicals in the body, and when sourced from local bees, it can help reduce allergies to pollen. It contains antibacterial and antiviral with trace minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and easy-to-use carbs for energy. It coats the throat, which provides relief from coughing and sore throat pain. Drinking honey in tea with lemon can ease sore throat pain. Research suggests that honey is an effective cough suppressant, too.
4. Vitamin C: Taking Vitamin C in its organic form and as supplements during cold seasons is great in combatting and preventing the flu. Vitamin C is a powerful immune booster and great for fighting cold and flu. It supports the cell-mediated immune response and enhances lymphocyte, antibody, and natural killer cell production. It is a required nutrient in many cellular processes and is also a potent antioxidant.
5. Ginger: A few slices of raw ginger root in boiling water may help soothe a cough or sore throat. Research suggests that it can also ward off the feelings of nausea that so often accompany influenza.
6. Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated during rainy seasons cannot be over emphasized. It’s important to drink six to eight glasses of filtered water each day in a glass container. Plastic bottles contain xenoestrogens, which increase the risk of estrogen-related cancers and contribute to many health issues.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: [email protected]
ENTERTAINMENT20 hours ago
Ras Kimono’s Wife, Efemena, Dies 3 Months After Husband’s Death
NEWS20 hours ago
Osun Poll: Alteration Of Result Will Lead To Anarchy – Atiku
NEWS16 hours ago
Obaseki Approaches PMB, Seeks official Pardon For Late Ambrose Alli
NEWS2 hours ago
11 APC Aspirants Jostle For Governorship, 7 For Senate In Nasarawa
NEWS22 hours ago
Osinbajo One Of Best Vice Presidents Nigeria Ever Had – Imo Monarch
POLITICS6 hours ago
APC Queries BoT Member For Attending PDP Rally
OPINION2 hours ago
The Multiple ‘Sins’ Of Governor Yari
NEWS24 hours ago
C/River Health Boss To Receive Mandela Pan African Humanitarian Award in Morocco