Football governing body FIFA expressed concern Wednesday after acknowledging its computer systems were hacked earlier this year.
The hack took place in March and reports have said a consortium of European media organizations is planning to publish a series of stories based in part on the internal documents.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino was reported as saying he expected the release of private information as a result of the data breach.
In a statement, FIFA said: “Following a hack in March 2018, FIFA took a number of measures to improve IT security, in order to protect employees, and we are concerned by the fact that some information has been obtained illegally.
“FIFA condemns any attempts to compromise the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data in any organisation using unlawful practices.”
It is the second time FIFA’s computer systemns have been hacked. The US Department of Justice and the FBI said earlier this month that Russian military intelligence was responsible for a hack in 2016 that led to evidence from anti-doping investigations and laboratory results being published.
FIFA said it was “committed to data security and ensuring full confidentiality, integrity and availability of its data” and was continually modifying its systems and practices.
“It is an ongoing issue, which FIFA has to face just like countless organizations around the world, who are all dealing with data security challenges,” its statement said.
COVER STORIES13 hours ago
APC Suspends Okorocha For Anti-party Activities
NEWS24 hours ago
Gov. Dickson Commends Buhari On Choice Of Adamu As I-G
NEWS3 hours ago
Atiku :Why I Kept Away From America For 13 Years
NEWS5 hours ago
El-Rufai: Kaduna Divided, Blasts South South Governors
NEWS4 hours ago
Gov: Former PDP Governorship Candidate Donates Duplex As PMB Campaign Office
NEWS12 hours ago
Onnoghen Should Resign, Says el-Rufai
FEATURES9 hours ago
Ending Ongoing ASUU Strike
COLUMNS8 hours ago
I Am ‘Mijin Hajiya’