A group of ex-militants under the aegis of Coalition of Niger Delta Agitators yesterday urged all multinational oil companies in Akwa Ibom State to move out of the area or risk attack on their facilities.
The spokesman of the ex-militants, General John Duku of the Niger Delta Watchdogs in a statement made available to newsmen in Uyo decried the level of injustice, neglect, marginalisation and the untold hardship the oil companies operating in Akwa Ibom State have meted out to the people.
According to the statement, the agitators observed with dismay, that despite being in the business of exploiting and exploring oil in these communities for over 30 years the multinational oil companies have completely abandoned their Corporate Social Responsibilities (CRS), in the area of scholarships, employment and empowerment for its host communities.
‘’All these multinational oil and servicing companies do not have even a liaison office in the state, 90 per cent of their workforce are not indigenes of the state, the remaining 10 per cent they pick from Akwa Ibom are placed under contract with meagre payment without any entitlement. It is also noted that none of these companies or even their representatives deem it necessary to visit their host communities, this is satanic act and we shall handle it the way and manner they would feel the same pain that the communities have been passing through.
‘’Worst still is the fact that Oriental Energy Resources management believe and boast that with the personal relationship of the managing director, Alhaji Muhammed Indimi as an in-law to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari, his company and assets are untouchable, thus he can do whatever he likes citing the recent case between Oriental Energy and Afren Resources Nigeria Limited which was ruled in their favour.
‘’From our findings, we observed that the Community Affairs Department in all these Multinational Oil Companies are in the business of conniving with traditional rulers, community leaders and some government officials, to fraudulently steal, embezzle and criminally defraud the Core Oil Producing Communities of money meant for community development and every other benefits that should have accrued to the oil producing communities’’.
It argued that the situation is the same in all the core oil producing LGAs of the state. “The worst is the situation we met at Effiat Coastal Communities of Mbo LGA, Amadaka in Eastern Obolo LGA, Ibeno LGA, Esit Eket LGA and many others. We therefore call on the government to ensure the withdrawal of certificates of these traditional rulers,” the group said.
MRA Hails NIPC Over Compliance With FOI Obligations
Ibadan Monarchs May Lose Crown As Makinde Resolves To Discontinue With Prosecution
Ministerial Appointment: ‘Why Am Absolutely Loyal To Buhari’ – Sylva
Ekiti APC Felicitates With Otunba Niyi Adebayo
NPA Board Moves To Reposition Eastern Ports
SDP Confirms Adeniran As National Chairman
Boko Haram Raids Borno Communities, Sets Public Property Ablaze
COVER STORIES15 hours ago
Govs Meet Over NFIU Guidelines, SDGs, Others
NEWS22 hours ago
PDP Clears, Alaibe, Igali, Wada, Melaye For Bayelsa, Kogi Polls
COVER STORIES15 hours ago
High Expectations As Ministers Assume Office, Unveil Agenda
NEWS23 hours ago
Five EU States To Take In Open Arms Migrants, Ending Standoff
CRIME13 hours ago
Troops Thwart Terrorists Plan, Clear Maiduguri-Kondugu-Bama Road
POLITICS14 hours ago
PDP Clears 34 Aspirants For Bayelsa, Kogi Gov’ship Polls
POLITICS24 hours ago
Bayelsa Guber: Indirect Primaries, Best For APC – Chieftain
OPINION22 hours ago
7 Things New Minister of Works And Housing Must Do