Police in Las Vegas have issued a warrant for a DNA sample from Cristiano Ronaldo as part of their investigation into the rape allegations made against the Juventus forward.
The 33-year-old’s lawyer, Peter S. Christiansen, told BBC Sport it was a “very standard request”.
The Wall Street Journal says the warrant was recently sent to the court system in Italy.
Ronaldo denies assaulting Kathryn Mayorga at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
“Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising that DNA would be present, nor that the police would make this very standard request as part of their investigation,” said Christiansen’s statement.
German weekly news magazine Der Spiegel, which first published the story about the allegation in October, said Ms Mayorga filed a report with Las Vegas police shortly after the alleged incident.
Der Spiegel said that in 2010, she reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations.
Her lawyers are now seeking to declare the non-disclosure agreement void.
Ronaldo’s lawyer has previously said his client does not deny entering an agreement but that “the reasons that led him to do so are at least to be distorted”.
He added: “This agreement is by no means a confession of guilt.”
Ms Mayorga was inspired to speak out by the #MeToo movement, her lawyer has said, and is suing Ronaldo in a lawsuit in the United States.
Ronaldo moved to Juventus from Real Madrid for £99.2m in July. He has won the Ballon d’Or – awarded to the world’s best footballer – in 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017.
The Portuguese international has previously dismissed the allegation as “fake news” and earlier in October issued a statement through his Twitter account in which he “firmly” denied the accusation.
His lawyers claim documents used in Der Spiegel’s investigation have been “completely fabricated” but the publication says it has “no reason” to doubt the authenticity of key documents used in its story.
Examining Implementation Of Child Rights Convention
By November 20th this year, the convention on the rights of the child (CRC), will be 30 years since it...
Chronicling 8th Senate’s Efforts In Education Sector
As the current Senate winds down in a matter of days, BODE GBADEBO writes on the legislative interventions of the...
Awaiting S’Court Verdict On Zamfara APC
The long standing legal battle over the conduct of APC primaries or otherwise in Zamfara State will end tomorrow as...
Nigeria To Halt N360bn Capital Flight In Aviation Sector
A new internationally licensed Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) that will end over N360 billion capital flight has been launched...
We Must Organise Mining Sector For Optimal Results– Mayere
Lawal Mayere is a retired permanent secretary in Kaduna State.He served in the ministries of land, works, solid minerals ,...
Combating Desertification In Sahel, Horn Of Africa
CHIKA OKEKE examines attempts by governments and stakeholders in the African region to protect its landmass from mind boggling desertification....
NEWS20 hours ago
INEC Withdraws 2 Certificate Of Return In Kaduna
NEWS19 hours ago
Zamfara Assembly Creates Additional Emirate Council
FOOTBALL21 hours ago
Borussia Dortmund Complete Signing Of Thorgan Hazard
NEWS21 hours ago
Indonesia Post-Election Protests Leave 6 Dead
AVIATION22 hours ago
Aviation Unions Shut Down NCAA Over New Organogram
NEWS17 hours ago
Anxiety In Ogun As RCCG Raids, Dump Destitutes In Abeokuta
NEWS17 hours ago
Rivers Guber Poll: Tribunal Dismisses Labour Party Petition
NEWS19 hours ago
Court To Arraign Alison-Madueke On October 3