Four days after being held in the kidnappers’ den, a former commissioner in Ekiti State, Mr Remi Olorunleke, and a local government official in the state, Mr David Jejelowo, were, on Thursday, freed by their abductors.
This came as the state government gave marching orders to security agencies to comb the entire state and fish out criminal elements.
Olorunleke and Jejelowo, a director of Administration with Gbonyin Local Government, were kidnapped by unknown gunmen on Monday along Ado-Ijan-Ikare road before they were later released.
Olorunleke, who was the commissioner for Lands, Housing, Urban Renewal and Physical Planning during Governor Kayode Fayemi’s first term, yesterday, told newsmen via telephone in Ado Ekiti that he was kidnapped around 6.30pm on Monday and taken to an unknown destination, where he was kept before his family was contacted.
“Yes, I have regained freedom after spending four days with the kidnappers. It was a traumatising experience and I thank God that I came back alive.
“We were two in number, I was there together with the director of Administration in Gbonyin Local Government. We were both freed around 5.30 pm on Thursday. I want to thank my admirers and my family for standing by me during this period”, he said.
He called for the rejigging of the state security architecture to be able to live up to expectations of the citizens.
The public relations officer, Ekiti Command, Mr Caleb Ikechukwu, confirmed that the duo had been freed and that the police would continue to work hard to ensure security of lives and property.
The government has also decided to take some practical steps aimed at strengthening the security architecture of the state, part of which include a review of the State Security Trust Fund Law.
These were parts of the decisions reached at an emergency meeting of the State Security Council, held in Ado-Ekiti on Wednesday evening.
A statement by the chief press secretary to the governor, Mr Yinka Oyebode, yesterday, said the meeting also resolved that it was necessary to visit key provisions of the law including the need to recognise informal security structures in the state as beneficiaries of the fund.
The council assured citizens of the state that adequate security measures were being made to curtail armed robbery and kidnapping in the state and make lives and properties better secured.
They, however, urged members of the public to cooperate with security agencies by availing them with information on any suspicious movement or activities within their locality.
In a related development, the state governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has appointed Brig-General Ebenezer Ogundana (rtd) as special adviser on Security Matters and Coordinator of the Rapid Response Squad.
The Kota Omuo-Ekiti born retired general holds a Master’s degree in Security and Strategic Studies. He had served as Commandant, Nigeria Army School of Artillery and Commander, 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi before he retired from the Nigerian Army in 2016.
Dr Fayemi says government would take every step possible to ensure that the people of the state live in an atmosphere of peace and prosperity that is devoid of crime and violence, adding that the menace of killings and kidnapping would soon become a thing of the past in the state.
- NEWS23 hours ago
ASUU Strike: FG Releases N163bn
- FEATURED11 hours ago
JUST IN: Council Of State Approves N27,000 As New Minimum Wage
- NEWS21 hours ago
PMB Express Sadness Over Collapse Of Pavilion In Maiduguri
- NEWS21 hours ago
Borno: Over 40 Wounded As Supporters Scramble For Glimpse Of PMB
- COVER STORIES23 hours ago
Supreme Court Reserves Ruling On Rivers APC Crisis
- POLITICS18 hours ago
God Will Not Forgive You If You Don’t Vote For Ortom- Senator Mark
- NEWS13 hours ago
El-Zakzaky To Remain In Custody, As Court Adjourns Trial
- NEWS23 hours ago
At 49, Keyamo Has Earned Public Respect – PMB