Drone attacks claimed by Yemen rebels shut down one of Saudi Arabia’s main oil pipelines Tuesday, further ratcheting up Gulf tensions after the mysterious sabotage of several tankers.
Days after the United States deployed bombers and an assault ship to bolster an aircraft carrier in the region, the world’s largest crude exporter said two pumping stations had been targeted early Tuesday.
They lie on the East West Pipeline, able to pump five million barrels of oil a day from the oil-rich eastern province to a Red Sea export terminal.
The announcement came hours after Yemen’s Huthi rebels said they had targeted vital installations in Saudi Arabia, which leads a military coalition against them.
Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said Saudi Aramco had “temporarily shut down” the pipeline to “evaluate its condition” but added that oil production and exports had not been interrupted.
“The company (Saudi Aramco) is working on restoring the pumping station before resuming operations,” he said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency. The stations reportedly targeted lie west of Riyadh, at Dawadmi and Afeef.
Falih said Tuesday’s incident was an “act of terrorism… that not only targets the kingdom but also the security of oil supplies to the world and the global economy”.
Huthi spokesman Mohammed Abdusalam wrote on Twitter that the attacks were “a response to the aggressors continuing to commit genocide” against the Yemeni people.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates intervened in the Yemen war to bolster the internationally-recognised government’s efforts against the Huthis in March 2015.
The 1,200-kilometre (750-mile) pipeline reportedly hit Tuesday serves as an alternative for Saudi crude exports if the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Gulf were to be closed.
Iran has repeatedly threatened to close the strait in case of a military confrontation with the United States.
The reported pipeline attacks came after the UAE said four ships were damaged in “sabotage attacks” off the emirate of Fujairah, close to the Hormuz, on Sunday.
Washington and its Gulf allies stopped short of blaming Riyadh’s regional arch-rival Tehran for the sabotage, but US President Donald Trump warned Iran against doing anything to harm US interests. “If they (Iran) do anything, it would be a very bad mistake,” Trump warned at the White House.
The attacks came after the United States deployed the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier group, an amphibious assault vessel, a Patriot missile battery and B-52 bombers, triggering fears of a possible military confrontation.
“In an environment of rising regional tensions, limited Iranian operations against the UAE and Saudi Arabia might be designed to dissuade Abu Dhabi and Riyadh and signal that war with Iran will not be limited to Iranian soil,” said Alex Vatanka, senior fellow at the Middle East Institute.
A UAE government official said the Saudi oil tankers Al-Marzoqah and Amjad were attacked off the emirate of Fujairah along with the Norwegian tanker Andrea Victory and an Emirati ship, the A. Michel. No casualties were reported and none of the vessels sank.
The UAE minister of state for foreign affairs, Anwar Gargash, said the Emirates will probe the “deliberate sabotage”. Saudi Arabia said its two tankers suffered “significant damage” but there was no oil spill.
The Andrea Victory’s managers, Thome Group, said the ship’s hull had been pierced “after being struck by an unknown object on the waterline”.
Asked whether the United States believed Iran played a role in the attacks, Washington’s Iran envoy Brian Hook declined to comment, saying only that US authorities would help the investigation at the request of the UAE.
The United Nations urged all sides to “exercise restraint for the sake of regional peace.”
Oil prices initially spiked in response to news of the attacks, but were largely flat in trading on Tuesday.
Fujairah port is the only Emirati terminal located on the Arabian Sea coast, bypassing the Strait of Hormuz through which most Gulf oil exports pass.
Iran and the United States have engaged in a war of words in recent weeks since Tehran began to roll back commitments set out in a landmark 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
Trump withdrew the United States from the deal last year and has unilaterally reimposed tough sanctions on Iran.
Supreme Court Rejects APC’s Application To Reclaim Zamfara
The Supreme Court on Monday rejected an application seeking a review of its last judgment in which it voided the...
Nasarawa Assembly Uncovers Anomalies In LG System
The Nasarawa State House of Assembly Ad hoc committee investigating non-payment of June salary to local government workers and other...
Sri Lankan President Extends State Of Emergency
Sri Lankan President, Maithripala Sirisena, extended the state of emergency on Monday, by another month considering the security situation in...
Tributes Paid For Nuclear Body Chief Yukiya Amano
Countries on opposite sides of current global tensions have been paying tribute to the International Atomic Energy Agency’s director general,...
JUST-IN: Many Injured As Police Clash With Shiites In Abuja
Members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) also known as Shiites have clashed with the officers of the Nigerian...
…As Transport Unions Call For Strikes
Italian transport unions have called for strikes at railways, car rental companies, motorway operators, taxis, public transport and ships to...
Ohuabunwa Inaugurates 2 Health Centres
Former Senate Committee Chairman on Primary Health-Care, Senator Mao Ohuabunwa has inaugurated two primary health-care centres in two different communities...
POLITICS17 hours ago
I Am Not Bitter Over My Brother’s Loss At Supreme Court, Says Adeleke
NEWS23 hours ago
Suicide Bomber Hits Hospital Kills 8, Injures 22
POLITICS24 hours ago
Group Endorsed Yahaya Bello for 2nd Term
POLITICS24 hours ago
Oyegun To Oshiomhole: Support Only APC Governor In S’South
NEWS23 hours ago
Ruga: Abia Monarch Lauds State Government’s Restriction On Land Sales
COLUMNS10 hours ago
Way Out Of The Bauchi Assembly Logjam
OPINION10 hours ago
The Turf War In Edo State
COVER STORIES12 hours ago
Presidency, PDP At Loggerheads Over $1bn ECA Security Fund