The UK risks losing its position as a world leader in mobile connectivity, Britain’s mobile operators are warning.
In a draft letter to Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill, seen by the BBC, operators will urge the government to clarify its position over Huawei.
The letter asks for an urgent meeting between industry leaders and the government to discuss their concerns.
Operators say they can’t invest in infrastructure while uncertainty over the use of Chinese technology persists.
The companies are planning to send the letter to government as soon as this week.
They are concerned at the government’s inability to decide whether Huawei technology will be approved for use in new 5G networks.
A government spokesperson said: “The security and resilience of the UK’s telecoms networks is of paramount importance.
We have robust procedures in place to manage risks to national security and are committed to the highest possible security standards.
“The Telecoms Supply Chain Review will be announced in due course.
We have been clear throughout the process that all network operators will need to comply with the government’s decision.”
Huawei is the world’s leading supplier of next generation connectivity equipment, but it has faced a backlash from the US.
The US government has already banned the use of Huawei technology after citing concerns that the company may present a security threat by allowing the Chinese government a way to snoop on critical infrastructure.
The US has also threatened to limit intelligence co-operation with any country that allows Huawei equipment to be used in its own networks.
Earlier this year there were unconfirmed reports that the government was considering allowing Huawei equipment into the periphery of new mobile networks, but not into the “core” of systems that could end up managing crucial services such as hospitals, police forces and the energy network.
BT-owned mobile operator EE said it had delayed the launch of Huawei’s 5G phones “until we get the information and confidence and the long-term security that our customers … are going to be supported”.
Vodafone has also announced it is suspending orders of Huawei 5G handsets.
In perhaps the biggest blow to Huawei, British firm ARM, which designs processors used in most mobile devices worldwide, has also said it may suspend ties with Huawei.
Huawei has found itself on the front line of the trade war between the US and China.
The company insists that it poses no security threat to any of its customers.
Huawei says suggestions to the contrary are a smokescreen for frustrating China’s attempts to emerge as a leading designer and provider of high tech equipment, rather than assembling the nuts and bolts of technology designed in the US and Europe.
Facebook Plans Its Own Cryptocurrency For Two Billion Users
Facebook already rules daily communication for more than two billion people around the world. Now it wants its own currency,...
9th NASS: Experts Set Agenda For Housing Sector
…list land use act, housing fund, new legislations as priority areas Leading experts in the housing sector, have listed...
Do Not Open ‘Pandora’s Box’ In Middle East – China
The Chinese government’s top diplomat on Tuesday warned the world not to open a “Pandora’s Box” in the Middle East,...
Dollar Heads Toward Three-Month Low Before Fed Meeting
The dollar weakened against its rivals on Tuesday, heading back toward a recent three-month low before a U.S. Central Bank...
Oil Prices Slip For Second Day On Global Growth Worries
Oil prices fell for a second day on Tuesday on signs that global economic growth is being hit by the...
National Industrial Court To Begin Annual Vacation July 22
The National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NICN), will begin its annual vacation from Mon. July 22 and resume Sept. 13...
FERMA Partners Army To Enhance Security On Highways
The Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) has pledged its commitment to strengthen partnership with the Army to enhance security in...
POLITICS20 hours ago
APC Kicks As Bauchi Govt Suspends Inauguration Of 9th Assembly
COVER STORIES8 hours ago
Fear Grips Lawmakers As FG Begins Probe Of Constituency Projects
NEWS23 hours ago
1 Killed, 6 Vehicles Destroyed As Kona, Fulani Clash.
NEWS17 hours ago
Taraba Govt Deny Imposing Curfew On Jalingo.
AFRICA18 hours ago
Former Egyptian President Morsi Dies In Court During Sitting
NEWS23 hours ago
Windstorm Destroys Over 1000 Houses In Zamfara LGA
FEATURED5 hours ago
GYB: The Giant Unifier At 44
NEWS11 hours ago
Kogi: 20 APC Aspirants Oppose Indirect Primaries