Seven members of a family on Wednesday night died of food poisoning in Auki village of Bungidu local government area of Zamfara State.
The family, comprising two housewives and their five children died after tak- ing their dinner which was made of tuwon dawa (guin- ea corn food).
Narrating the sad incident to journalists, an in- digene of the area, Mohammed Mas,ud said that the family developed serious stomach disorders imme- diately after eating their dinner and three of them died instantly.
Other members of the family were rushed to General Hospital, Bun- gudu, where the remain- ing four also died.
The medical director of the hospital, Dr. Gambo Tsafe, confirmed that investigation conducted by the hospital showed that the deceased died of food poisoning as a result of consumption of contaminated food.
Gambo explained that the deceased were vomiting and passing diarrhoea when they were brought to the hospital and all efforts to save their lives proved abortive.
The husband, Hassan Lawali, who did not eat the food as he was not in the house, has devel- op serious mental chal- lenges and could no lon- ger speak.
He was said to have gone mad when he re- turned home and discov- ered the terrible situation of his family.