Three years after they were given letters of employment, about 300 National Assembly workers on Tuesday protested non-documentation of their employment by the NASS management.
The protesters were employed in 2018 and appointment letters were duly issued to them but since then, an alleged powerplay between the National Assembly management and the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC) has prevented them from resuming their work.
It was gathered that even employed as Batch A that resumed work in 2018, their salaries and allowances were stopped in 2019.
Those in Batch B are yet to resume work three years after they were employed without any reason given to them.
Speaking during the protest, Dr Tasie Obinna, who was part of the Batch A staff that were initially absorbed, said their salaries and allowances were stopped since 2019.
“We were employed in 2018. Batch A and Batch B. Batch A resumed work but Batch B are yet to resume after three years.
“In the clinic, we have been working and our salaries and allowances were stopped since 2019. We want the management to document all of us both Batch A and Batch B. We are open for negotiation,” Obinna said.
Meanwhile, the chairman of NASC, Ahmed Kadi Amshi, had told LEADERSHIP that there is no budgetary provision to absorb the protesting workers.
According to Amshi, NASC was asked to source for fund to absorb the workers but added that the employment problem was caused by previous managmegement of the National Assembly led by the immediate past Clerk to the National Assembly, Mohammed Sani-Omolori.
“We investigated the issue of the employment and found out that the employment letters given to them were genuine. The employed staff went through the normal employment process. As it is now, it is for the National Assembly Management to resolve the issue. We can’t carry out new employment without resolving the present issue,” Amshi added.