By Tope Fayehun, Akure
Militants in the riverine area of Ondo state, willing to embrace the amnesty program of the Federal government in the state have trooped out enmass to lay down their arms and ammunition.
The exercise which started on Thursday has recorded massive turn out of militants in the five collation centers including Igbekebo, Arogbo, Igbonla, Ajapa, and Igbokoda, all in the southern senatorial district of the state.
Men of the Nigeria Army, the Navy , Police, and civil defence as well as representatives of each militant camp are present at the collation centers to ensure only authentic militants benefit from the program.
Ondo state governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu had issued a 21-day ultimatum to the militants to submit their arms in the area.
The amnesty program was part of the requests made by the kidnappers of the six students of Igbonla Model School, Epe Lagos state.
The government of Ondo state who played a major role in securing the release of the students promised to facilitate the amnesty program.
Deputy governor of the state, Agboola Ajayi who took the risk to effect the release and safety of the students is the Chairman of the amnesty program in the state.
Already, the repentant militants are continuously submitting their arms which included pump action, Dane guns, live ammunitions, locally made artillery weapons among others.
Ajayi, shortly after touring two of the collections points in Igbokoda and Igbekebo on Friday said he was delighted with the level of turnout of the repentant armed youths who came out from creeks to submit their weapons to embrace the amnesty of the Federal Government.
Ajayi, called on those in the hideout to utilize the window of opportunity offered by the government, adding that whoever fail to utilize the opportunity would be dealt with by the Federal Government.
Also speaking the Commanding Officer of the Nigeria Navy Forward Operation Base, lgbokoda, Navy Captain Chindo Usman Yahaya, described the turnout as impressive.
Asked on the number of weapons submitted so far, the Commander said that it would be difficult to ascertain the number of weapons submitted since the commencement of the disarmament process.
One of the repentant commander of the armed youths, Osipapa Take Lion, lauded the federal and the ondo state governments for the privilege given to them to lay down their arms.
He , therefore, urged his colleagues to embrace the exercise by coming out to submit their weapons.
As at the press time the armed youths were still trooping into the centres for submission of weapons and documentation.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- COVER STORIES11 hours ago
How Obama, Borno Govt Frustrated Chibok Girls’ Rescue – Jonathan
- NEWS19 hours ago
Jonathan, A True Democrat – Buhari
- NEWS8 hours ago
PDP And Consequences Of Ekweremadu’s Ordeals
- NEWS19 hours ago
FG Tackling Youth Unemployment – NDE Boss
- NEWS11 hours ago
PMB, All APC Candidates Will Win Overwhelmingly – Wamakko
- METRO8 hours ago
VIO Begins Clampdown On Vehicles With Old Number Plates
- NEWS21 hours ago
Former President Jonathan Is An Icon Of Democracy – Gov. Ikpeazu
- NEWS18 hours ago
Jonathan, More Of An Academic In Politics – Mahama