Connect with us
Advertise With Us

NEWS

FG Reacts To Dapchi Girls Release, Says 76 Students Released In Ongoing Process

Published

on


PRESS RELEASE

The directive by President Muhammadu Buhari to all security agencies to do everything possible to secure the release of the Dapchi
schoolgirls, who were abducted 19 Feb. 2018, has yielded fruits, with
the confirmed release of 76 of the 110 abducted students in the early
hours of Wednesday.

In a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday, the Minister of
Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the 76 are those
who have been documented so far, adding that the release of the
abducted students is ongoing.

He said the girls were released around 3 a.m. through back-channel
efforts and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it
was unconditional.

”For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.

”Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost,” Alhaji Mohammed said.

He said the number of the freed girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented, especially because the girls were not handed over to anyone but dropped off in Dapchi.

Segun Adeyemi
SA To Hon Minister of Information and Culture
Abuja
21 March 2018



Copyright LEADERSHIP.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from LEADERSHIP Nigeria Newspapers. Contact: editor@leadership.ng







Advertisement
Comments

MOST POPULAR

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!