Amid apprehension over the partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge which kicked off by 12 midnight on Friday, Lagos State government has reassured her residents that there is no cause to be apprehensive as all necessary measures to ameliorate any discomfort as a result of the partial closure has been taken.
The state government stated this at a joint press conference addressed by the commissioners for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, Transportation, Dr. Frederick Oladeinde; special advisers to Lagos State governor on Works and Infrastructure, Mrs. Aramide Adeyoye and Mr. Oluwatoyin Fayinka, special adviser on Transportation, as well as chairman of the presidential Task Team on Apapa, Mr. Kayode Opeifa.
The government also said funding for the reconstruction of Abule-Egba-Toll Gate route on the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway was ready but work was delayed due to the procurement process.
Omotoso said all well-known traffic management strategies had been put in place to ensure a smooth ride.
According to Oladeinde, there is no need to worry as 75 per cent road users will not be affected, adding that alternative routes have been created for the 25 per cent expected to be affected, pointing out that will most times be traveling against traffic.
The special adviser on Works and Infrastructure Mrs. Aramide Adeyoye said the government had assigned the responsibilities to all the traffic management agencies in the state especially the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA). She added that major repairs have been carried out on inner roads in areas like Oyingbo and Yaba that have direct links with the bridge to ensure hitch-free ride.
On his part, Oluwatoyin Fayinka said that not less than 650 LASTMA officials would take the lead in traffic management to be complemented by other traffic agencies, saying “they are well prepared and trained and are ready”.