• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Friday, August 29, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Vandals Destroy Transmission Towers

… It’s setback for North-East power restoration – TCN

by Nse Anthony - Uko
1 year ago
in Business
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

The Transmission Company of Nigeria has said that the destruction of three more electricity transmission towers has set back its promise to restore power to the North-East by May 27, 2024.

Advertisement

The company announced on Monday, that three additional towers have been vandalised in the North-East, a development that further worsened the blackout in the region.

It said the latest incident occurred along the Biu – Danbua 132kV transmission line, as 16 spans of conductors were stolen, adding that this was discovered by the company on Friday.

Last week, TCN responded to the North-East Governors’ Forum by stating that electricity would be restored to the region on May 27, 2024.

This was after the North-East Governors’ Forum raised concerns that the region had been neglected, as the NEGF lambasted TCN over its poor handling of repairs of vandalised transmission towers in the region.

RELATED

Fitch Upgrades Afreximbank To ‘BBB’

Japan Agency Rating Reinforces Afreximbank’s Credibility, Says Denya

2 hours ago
BREAKING: Emirates Airlines Resumes Flights To Nigeria October 1

Emirates Airline To Participate In Africa Tourism, Creative Economy Expo

11 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

But on Monday, TCN in a statement issued in Abuja by its spokesperson, Ndidi Mbah, stated that while it was trying to complete the reconstruction of four towers that were earlier vandalised in the North-East, it discovered that another three had been vandalised.

It also stated that tower number T290, one of the four new towers erected by TCN contractors along the Jos – Gombe 330kV transmission line collapsed during the cable stringing process.

“The incident occurred at about 7 am, this morning, May 27, 2024, while the contractor was stringing the cable on the last tower, which was supposed to enable the final jointing of the power cable in time for energising of the line today,” the company stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

The transmission company, however, stated that while it was working to get that sorted, it found out that three additional towers had collapsed due to vandalism.

“It is unfortunate to note that while TCN is working on reconstructing and restringing the four vandalised towers, three towers along the Biu – Danbua 132kV transmission line were also vandalised with 16 spans of conductors stolen.

“The towers which have all collapsed include towers T1690, T1691 and T1692. TCN has mobilised a contractor to commence their reconstruction. This discovery was made by the TCN patrol team last Friday.

“Additionally, this morning, the TCN lines patrol team discovered that tower T540 along the Makurdi – Jos 330kV double circuit transmission line has been vandalised. Sections of the tower have been removed, although the tower remains standing. TCN has contracted emergency repairs to prevent its collapse,” the power firm stated.

It, however, noted that despite the security challenges in the area, TCN contractors and some of its engineering staff worked tirelessly to fast-track the reconstruction of the earlier damaged towers.

It said the firm did “all that was humanly possible to meet the timeline. Daily, the contractor and TCN engineers accompanied by security operatives consistently left the site by 10 pm and resumed work at 6 am every day.”

The firm said, “Constructing towers and stringing power cables at such heights is highly technical, although TCN contractors and staff have completed similar projects in other parts of the country.

“The collapse of the fourth tower is a significant setback, given the extensive efforts to ensure that today’s power restoration timeline was met. Our contractor is currently dismantling the collapsed tower members to enable its reconstruction and final restringing of the cable.”

The company reiterated its commitment to restoring normal bulk power supply through the distribution companies serving the North-East and other areas affected by vandalism.

 


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


SendShare10260Tweet6413Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Ekpo Flags Off Decade Of Gas Grassroots LPG Penetration Programme

Next Post

New FRSC Corps Marshal Assumes Office, Pledges To Rejig Operations

Nse Anthony - Uko

Nse Anthony - Uko

You May Like

Fitch Upgrades Afreximbank To ‘BBB’
Business

Japan Agency Rating Reinforces Afreximbank’s Credibility, Says Denya

2025/08/29
BREAKING: Emirates Airlines Resumes Flights To Nigeria October 1
Business

Emirates Airline To Participate In Africa Tourism, Creative Economy Expo

2025/08/29
Tinubu Names Abubakar Dantosho MD Of NPA
Business

NSC Boss Lauds Dantsoho On Election As IAPH Vice President

2025/08/29
tinubu
Business

Capital Market Stakeholders Back Tinubu’s Reforms, Urge Companies To List On NGX

2025/08/29
FG Inaugurates National Building Code Advisory Committee
Business

FG Inaugurates National Building Code Advisory Committee

2025/08/29
TCN Receives 7 New Power Transformers In Lagos, To Boost Power Supply
Business

TCN Clarifies Onitsha Sub-region Incident, Denies Explosion Claim By Enugu DisCo

2025/08/29
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

JUST-IN: Many Feared Dead As Sokoto Records Another Boat Tragedy

Jonathan Hasn’t Ruled Himself Out Of 2027 Presidential Contest, Says Ex-President’s Cousin

Court Jails Businessman 6 Months For Cocaine Trafficking

Lagos Records 8,692 Domestic, Sexual Violence Cases In 1 Year

PICTORIAL: Obasanjo Visits Alaafin Amid Row With Ooni

Abu Shouk: Inside Sudan’s Painful Memory

Japan Agency Rating Reinforces Afreximbank’s Credibility, Says Denya

Edo Resident Doctors Laud Okpebholo Over 2024 MRTF Payment, Ezoti Quarters Renovation

Troops Rescue 117 Hostages, Arrest 150 Suspected Criminals In 1 Week

Civil Service Reform Imperative Amid Neutrality Debate, Says FCSC Chair

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.