• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Friday, August 29, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Alleged N33.8bn Fraud: Why I Couldn’t Write Confessional Statement During Investigation – Ex-Minister

by Olakunle Olasanmi
5 months ago
in News
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

A former minister of power, Saleh Mamman, has explained why he could not write a confessional statement during interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives.

Advertisement

Mamman is facing trial before Justice James Omotosho over the allegation of N33.8 billion fraud.

He told Justice Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja in a video clip played in the open court during a trial-within-trial to ascertain if the statements sought to be tendered by the EFCC were voluntarily obtained from the ex-minister.

The court had ordered that the video clip of the interview session conducted by the commission’s officials during their investigation be played in the open court following the allegation that the ex-minister did not voluntarily make the statement.

Mamman’s lawyer, Mr Femi Atteh, SAN, had opposed the application by the anti-graft agency’s counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, to tender the statement in evidence, arguing that his client did not make the statement voluntarily.

RELATED

Maltina Rolls Out New Pet Bottles, Pledges To Nourish 1m Students

Maltina Rolls Out New Pet Bottles, Pledges To Nourish 1m Students

2 hours ago
PICTORIAL: VP Shettima Represents Tinubu At Ex-VP Sambo Son’s Wedding In Kano

PICTORIAL: VP Shettima Represents Tinubu At Ex-VP Sambo Son’s Wedding In Kano

2 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

The judge consequently ordered that the video clip be played to ascertain the argument’s veracity.

During proceedings, the former minister, in the video, said after he came back from a foreign medical trip where he had surgery, he was confronted with the allegations of money laundering.

He said he was indisposed when asked if he could write a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mamman, who spoke in the Hausa Language during interrogation but was interpreted in the English Language by an interpreter of the court, said he honoured the commission’s invitation despite his ill health.

“You know I am not strong,” he said.He said he had surgery and that for about a month or two, he had been battling with the illness.

 

He said that was why he travelled.

 

When the officer asked where he travelled, Mamman said, “Saudi Arabia.”

 

The operative further asked him how he was able to travel when his international passport was with the commission.

 

The ex-minister said the passport they had with them had since expired, and he had another one with which he used to travel.

 

He said if he had not travelled at the time, he would have died.

 

He also asked him if he could write again. Mamman said he could not, that he was even about to take his medication.

 

“My doctor warned me seriously; I am just managing myself. You know I’m doing things gradually. I just need to come and explain,” Mamman was interpreted as saying.

 

The judge then granted leave to the EFCC’s lawyer to ask the witness, Abubakar Kwaido, who interrogated Mamman in the video clip, some questions.

 

Oyedepo asked Kwaido to tell the court the name of the officer who later joined him during the interrogation.

 

“He is Shehu Usman Sambo, my superior,” he said.

 

When he asked him who Mamman was referred to as a terrible liar in the video, he said, “Mustapha Abubakar Bida, the account manager for Mambilla Power Project.”

 

Oyedepo asked if the ex-minister was coerced to make the statement as alleged, but the witness said it was untrue.

 

“No, I did not coerce the defendant to talk. I was just sitting down while he talked,” he said.

 

“At the point when Mr Sambo came, did you threaten him with detention?” the lawyer asked.

 

“No, we did not. Even when Mr Sambo came, he was just asking if he could write,” he responded.

 

Justice Omotosho adjourned the matter until April 14 for the continuation of the trial.

 


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


Tags: Saleh Mamman
SendShare10173Tweet6358Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Cormart To Launch Advanced Cold Storage Facility To Boost Food, Pharma Sectors

Next Post

Niger Establishes Oxygen Plant In Suleja General Hospital

Olakunle Olasanmi

Olakunle Olasanmi

You May Like

Maltina Rolls Out New Pet Bottles, Pledges To Nourish 1m Students
Business

Maltina Rolls Out New Pet Bottles, Pledges To Nourish 1m Students

2025/08/29
PICTORIAL: VP Shettima Represents Tinubu At Ex-VP Sambo Son’s Wedding In Kano
News

PICTORIAL: VP Shettima Represents Tinubu At Ex-VP Sambo Son’s Wedding In Kano

2025/08/29
Tinubu Excited As Nigerian Babalola Emerges As Rotary International President
News

Tinubu Excited As Nigerian Babalola Emerges As Rotary International President

2025/08/29
currency exchange process
Business

How To Calculate Pips In Forex And Other Important Tips For Traders

2025/08/29
Amid Succession Crisis In NIWA, Boat Mishap Claims 30 Lives In Kebbi
News

JUST-IN: Many Feared Dead As Sokoto Records Another Boat Tragedy

2025/08/29
2023: Power Shift To South Non-negotiable, Say Jonathan’s Kinsmen
News

Jonathan Hasn’t Ruled Himself Out Of 2027 Presidential Contest, Says Ex-President’s Cousin

2025/08/29
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Maltina Rolls Out New Pet Bottles, Pledges To Nourish 1m Students

PICTORIAL: VP Shettima Represents Tinubu At Ex-VP Sambo Son’s Wedding In Kano

Tinubu Excited As Nigerian Babalola Emerges As Rotary International President

How To Calculate Pips In Forex And Other Important Tips For Traders

Tottenham Sign Simons From RB Leipzig For £52m

JUST-IN: Many Feared Dead As Sokoto Records Another Boat Tragedy

Jonathan Hasn’t Ruled Himself Out Of 2027 Presidential Contest, Says Ex-President’s Cousin

Court Jails Businessman 6 Months For Cocaine Trafficking

Lagos Records 8,692 Domestic, Sexual Violence Cases In 1 Year

PICTORIAL: Obasanjo Visits Alaafin Amid Row With Ooni

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.