Rape Suspect Disown Statement In Court
A 28-years-old rape suspect, Patrick Achugboe, on Friday, during disowned a statement allegedly endorsed by him while in police custody.
Achugboe, disowned the statement before Justice E. Ikponwonba led Criminal Court 2, Benin, during cross-examination by the state counsel, Mrs E. O. Osula.
The suspect who is standing trial over the rape of a 17-years-old girl, alleged that the purported statement was not written by him but sign under duress.
According to him, “Upon my arrest, the police locked me up in cell and brought me out sound midnight and asked me to corporate by signing a statement they (police) had already written.
“They beat me up with a gun and tear- gassed me in order to make me sign it. I eventually did in order not to lose my life.”
The suspect said he only asked on his name and address.
However, the Investigating Police Office (IPO), Mrs Joy Ojo, who stood in the dock as a Principal Witness, told the court another version when she said the suspect willingly, without any form of intimidation or coercion, signed the statement.
“The suspect signed the statement I had prepared after I had read it out to him, he was not forced to do it and it was interrogation and written of the statement was done under a conducive environment,” she said.
According to the charge sheet, the suspect, along with one other, on the 16th day of January, 2018, at Ikpoba Hill area of Benin City, adopted and raped their 17-years-old victim.
The offence is put is punishable under section 4 of the Edo State kidnapping Prohibition (Amendment) law 2013.
The matter have been adjourned to March 27 for both counsels to present their addresses.
Previous article We Deserve Genuine Change, Chieftain Tells Governor-elect