Iran has issued a warrant of arrest on the United States President, Donald Trump over the assassination of a top Iranian general, Qassem Soleimani, Aljazeera has reported.
Soleimani was killed alongside other Iranian and Iraqi leaders in Iraq, January, in a US drone strike ordered by Mr Trump.
The U.S. government had accused the slain general, who headed Iran’s elite military force of being responsible for the attacks on the US and its allies in the Middle-East.
To that effect, the Iranian government on Monday asked Interpol to help in detaining President Trump for ‘murder and terrorism charges’ and more than 30 others accused of being involved in the attack that killed Mr Soleimani, Aljazeera said.
“It is unlikely Interpol would grant Iran’s request as its guideline for notices forbids it from ‘undertaking any intervention or activities of a political’ nature,” the TV station said.
Days after Mr Soleimani’s assassination, Iran fired ballistic missiles into two US military bases in Iraq as retaliation.
The Iranian judiciary had last month said that an Iranian national, Mahmoud Mousavi Majd would be executed after he was convicted of helping the US and Israel to spy on the general before he was killed.
“He was a monster. And he’s no longer a monster. He’s dead,” Mr Trump had said of the killing of the Iranian general”.
“He was planning a big attack and bad attack for us. I don’t think anyone can complain about it.”
An American general, Kenneth McKenzie Jr. said recently that the killing of the Iranian general has deterred Iran from further attacks against the US.
“I think (killing Soleimani) has had a significant effect in establishing and reestablishing a rough form of deterrence in the theater,” The VOA quoted Mr McKenzie Jr., the commander of United States Central Command (CENTCOM), to have said
VSF COVID-19 Task Force Donates Medical Supplies, PPEs To FCTA
COVID-19: Domestic Flights Resume At Lagos Airport
Police Arrest Bandit, Wife With 2 AK 47 Rifles In Kebbi
Insecurity: Yusuf Donates Patrol Vehicles To Kogi Police
Troops Kill 17 Terrorists, Loses 2 Soldiers In Damboa Ambush – DHQ
Alleged N471m Fraud: Court Fixes Oct. 20 For Ex-Hos, Oyo-Ita’s Trial
CSO Supports Henrich Akomolafe Initiative Project in Ekiti
NEWS24 hours ago
JUST IN: PMB Suspends EFCC Boss, Magu
NEWS20 hours ago
Head Of Service Urges Reversal Of NASS Salary Structure
COVER STORIES9 hours ago
Top Police Officers Lobby To Take Over From Magu
NEWS19 hours ago
774,000 Jobs: Again, Kayamo Disagree With Senate Over Execution Of Programme
NEWS20 hours ago
National Commission For Persons With Disability In Process – Farouq
LAW23 hours ago
PMB Seeks Senate Confirmation Of 11 Judges, Others
EDUCATION23 hours ago
WAEC Says PPE Required For Supervisors, Inadequate Preparation Not Excuse To Cheat
NEWS6 hours ago
Squabble: Housewife Apologizes To IGP, Ex-husband