• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Friday, August 29, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Half Of Gaza’s Population Starving, UN Warns

by Agency Report
2 years ago
in News
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

A senior UN aid official has warned that half of Gaza’s population is starving, as fighting between Israeli Defense Force and Hamas militants continues in the strip.

Advertisement

Carl Skau, deputy director of the UN World Food Programme, said only a fraction of supplies needed have been able to enter the Strip – and nine out of 10 people cannot eat every day.

Conditions in Gaza have made deliveries “almost impossible”, Mr Skau said.

Israel said it must continue air strikes on Gaza to eliminate Hamas and bring Israeli hostages home.

Israel Defence Forces spokesman Lt Col Richard Hecht told the BBC on Saturday that “any death and pain to a civilian is painful, but we don’t have an alternative”.

RELATED

US Vetoes Call For ‘Immediate Ceasefire’ In Gaza

US Connecticut State Declares August 23 Ex-APC Presidential Aspirant’s Day

39 minutes ago
Oyinlola, Oyedokun Say Adeleke Proved Naysayers Wrong In Osun

ADC, A Group Of Failed Politicians, Says PDP

40 minutes ago
ADVERTISEMENT

“We are doing everything we can to get as much as possible inside the Gaza Strip,” he said.

Movement in and out of Gaza has been heavily restricted since 7 October, when Hamas fighters broke through Israel’s heavily-guarded perimeter fence – killing 1,200 people and taking 240 hostages.

In response, Israel closed its borders with Gaza and began launching air strikes on the territory, restricting aid deliveries which Gazans heavily relied on.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Hamas-run health ministry says Israel has killed more than 17,700 Gazans in its retaliatory campaign, including more than 7,000 children.

Only the Rafah crossing bordering Egypt has been open, allowing limited quantities of aid to reach Gaza. This week Israel agreed to open the Kerem Shalom crossing from Israel into Gaza in the next few days – but only for the inspection of aid lorries. The trucks would then go to Rafah to cross into Gaza.

Mr Skau said nothing had prepared him for the “fear, the chaos, and the despair” he and his WFP team encountered during their trip to Gaza this week.

 

They witnessed “confusion at warehouses, distribution points with thousands of desperate hungry people, supermarkets with bare shelves, and overcrowded shelters with bursting bathrooms,” he said.

 

International pressure and a temporary seven-day ceasefire last month had allowed some badly-needed aid to enter the Gaza Strip, but the WFP insists a second border crossing is now needed to meet demand.

 

Nine out of 10 families in some areas are spending “a full day and night without any food at all”, according to Mr Skau.

 

People in Khan Younis in the south of Gaza, a city now surrounded on two fronts by Israeli tanks, say the situation there is dire.

 

Dr Ahmed Moghrabi, head of the plastic surgery and burns unit in the city’s only remaining health facility, Nasser hospital, fought back tears as he spoke to the BBC about the lack of food.

 

“I have a daughter, three years old, and she always asks me (for) some sweets, some apples, and some fruits. I can’t provide. I feel helpless,” he said.

 

“There is not enough food, there is not enough food, only rice, only rice can you believe? We eat once, once a day, only.”

 

Dr Ahmed Moghrabi told the BBC there’s a scarcity of food, water, medicine and he cannot operate on patients

 

Khan Younis has been the focus of heavy air strikes in recent days and the boss of Nasser hospital there said his team had “lost control” over the numbers of dead and wounded arriving at the facility.

 

Israel said Hamas leaders are hiding in Khan Younis, possibly in an underground network of tunnels, and that it is fighting house to house and “shaft to shaft” to destroy the group’s military capabilities.

 

 


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


SendShare10168Tweet6355Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Rising Cost Of Pharmaceuticals

Next Post

Reps To Monitor Kaduna Drone Attack Probe

Agency Report

Agency Report

You May Like

US Vetoes Call For ‘Immediate Ceasefire’ In Gaza
News

US Connecticut State Declares August 23 Ex-APC Presidential Aspirant’s Day

2025/08/29
Oyinlola, Oyedokun Say Adeleke Proved Naysayers Wrong In Osun
News

ADC, A Group Of Failed Politicians, Says PDP

2025/08/29
Tinubu’s Neo-liberal Policies Can’t Achieve Anything In 40 Years – Adebayo
News

Tinubu Can Still Be Competitive In 2027 If… – SDP Adebayo

2025/08/29
Lakurawa: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Charges Federal Gov’t To Crush New Terror Group 
News

2027: Igbo Free To Contest Presidential Election – Ohanaeze

2025/08/29
News

God First Ministry To Mark 36th Anniversary With Charity

2025/08/29
Alleged Bias: Opposition Mounts Against ICC
News

NAN Berates Senator Adamu Over ICC Petition On Kaduna By-Election

2025/08/29
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Man Utd Reject Mainoo Loan Request

Chelsea Agree £40m Fee With Man Utd For Garnacho

Tottenham Nears £51.8m Deal For Leipzig’s Simons

US Connecticut State Declares August 23 Ex-APC Presidential Aspirant’s Day

ADC, A Group Of Failed Politicians, Says PDP

Tinubu Can Still Be Competitive In 2027 If… – SDP Adebayo

2027: Igbo Free To Contest Presidential Election – Ohanaeze

ADC Tackles INEC Over New Voter Registration Figures

The Mawlid Debate

God First Ministry To Mark 36th Anniversary With Charity

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.