• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Sunday, August 31, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

N9bn Spent To Restore Vandalised Electricity Infrastructure In North – Minister

Defends N8bn proposed budgetary allocation for advocacy against vandalism

by Nse Anthony - Uko
7 months ago
in News
Minister of Power, Chief Adebayo Adelabu.

Minister of Power, Chief Adebayo Adelabu.

Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

The federal government spent over N9billion to restore vandalised power infrastructure in the Northern part of Nigeria in 2024.

Advertisement

Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, who made this known, decried the increasing cases of infrastructure vandalism across the country, stating that the continued cases of vandalism were undermining the government’s effort towards ensuring adequate power supply to Nigerians.

Adelabu, in clarifying a report about the N8billion in the 2025 budgetary allocations of the ministry, said that the amount is specifically meant for advocacy, education, enlightenment, and provision of technology to protect power infrastructure.

“It is also to enlighten Nigerians on the need to protect and take ownership of the power infrastructure and other national assets. This is contrary to claims in some quarters that the money was meant for sensitisation on payment of electricity bills,” he said in a statement issued by Bolaji Tunji, the special adviser to the minister on strategic communications and Media Relations on Thursday.

According to the minister, the federal government, through the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), spent over N9 billion to restore transmission towers and lines destroyed by the terrorists on the Shiroro-Mando-Kaduna power line which led to a total blackout in some parts of northern Nigeria last year.

RELATED

CP-PDP Cautions Ibas On Rivers Allocation, Notifies EFCC

Rivers LG Polls Peaceful, Orderly, Says Ibas

4 hours ago
Bishop Kukah Endorses ‘Japa’, Encourages Young Nigerians To Leave

Tinubu Hails Bishop Kukah At 73, Praises Priest’s Role In Democracy, Peace Building

4 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

He also disclosed that efforts to complete repairs on the transmission lines were facing setbacks due to the activities of bandits in the areas.

“Let me also use this opportunity to tell Nigerians that it costs the TCN over N9 billion to bring back the transmission towers and lines destroyed by the terrorists on the Shiroro-Mando-Kaduna line which threw substantial parts of northern Nigeria into darkness last year, up till now, we are yet to complete work on the lines due to activities of bandits who have continued to stagnate efforts to repair some of the lines.

“It is our belief that the advocacy we are proposing should be able to redirect the minds of those who are bent on taking us backward in our effort to provide efficient, effective, and uninterrupted electricity to Nigerians. Only last weekend, almost half of Abuja was thrown into darkness as a result of the activities of the vandals.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The history of vandalism of the nation’s power infrastructure is legendary. However, in recent years, it has escalated and in over one year, it has continued to increase at an alarming rate. We have suffered sustained and more violent attacks on our infrastructure.

“If you recall, for over two weeks last year, almost the entire northern part of the country was thrown into darkness, as bandits and terrorists, not just vandals, attacked our transmission lines and towers on the Shiroro-Mando-Kaduna transmission lines. Dynamites were used to bring down the towers and the lines. This is just one of many such attacks across the nation,” he added.

Adelabu further reiterated the government’s effort to address the incessant cases of power grid collapse through the commencement of the second phase of the Siemens project which is expected in the first quarter of 2025. This phase, he said, will see the construction of 14 brownfield substations and 20 greenfield substations.

According to him, the pilot stage of the project ensured the installation of 8 power transformers and 5 mobile substations in the following states including; Okene, Kogi; Amukpe, Delta; Ihovbor, Edo; Apo, Abuja; Maryland, Lagos; Potiskum, Yobe; Ajah, Lagos; Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi; Jebba, Niger; Kwanar-dangora, Kano; UI, Oyo; Sapade, Ogun.

“On the issue of incessant grid collapse, efforts are continuing to tackle the problems. It is a known fact that over the years, the infrastructure has been neglected and allowed to decay to a state of dilapidation. These are being gradually tackled. The Siemens project is one of the ways of tackling this. The pilot stage of the Siemens project was to ensure the installation of 10 power transformers and the mobile substations across the country and so far, is about 95 per cent completed.

‘’So far, we have installed eight power transformers and 5 mobile substations in the following States; Okene, Kogi; Amukpe, Delta; Ihovbor, Edo; Apo, Abuja; Maryland, Lagos; Potiskum, Yobe; Ajah, Lagos; Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi; Jebba, Niger; Kwanar-dangora, Kano; UI, Oyo; Sapade, Ogun.

”The 2nd phase will see the construction of 14 brown field substations and 20 green field substations. Agreement has been signed for the construction of five substations starting Q1, already. This will further strengthen the grid capacity and reduce instances of grid collapse. Not only that, the SCADA project is still ongoing,” he stated.


Join Our WhatsApp Channel



Tags: Adebayo Adelabu
SendShare10173Tweet6358Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Oyetola’s Ex-Aide Demands Apology From Social Media Influencer Mewolaka Over Alleged Defamation

Next Post

10,000-hectare Land To Be Developed For Benue IDPs – Minister

Nse Anthony - Uko

Nse Anthony - Uko

You May Like

CP-PDP Cautions Ibas On Rivers Allocation, Notifies EFCC
News

Rivers LG Polls Peaceful, Orderly, Says Ibas

2025/08/30
Bishop Kukah Endorses ‘Japa’, Encourages Young Nigerians To Leave
News

Tinubu Hails Bishop Kukah At 73, Praises Priest’s Role In Democracy, Peace Building

2025/08/30
Nigerian Prophet Fufeyin Gets Rousing Welcome In Ghana
News

Nigerian Prophet Fufeyin Gets Rousing Welcome In Ghana

2025/08/30
EFCC ‘Misled’ Nigerians On Forfeiture Of N5bn 246m NAPL Shares – Ex-MD’s Lawyers
News

EFCC ‘Misled’ Nigerians On Forfeiture Of N5bn 246m NAPL Shares – Ex-MD’s Lawyers

2025/08/30
Katsina Gov’t Revokes Private, Community School Licences
News

Katsina Gov’t Revokes Private, Community School Licences

2025/08/30
‘I Remain Neutral In Chieftaincy Matters,’ Says Aiyedatiwa
News

‘I Remain Neutral In Chieftaincy Matters,’ Says Aiyedatiwa

2025/08/30
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Premier League Addresses Fulham’s Disallowed Goal In Chelsea Encounter

Rivers LG Polls Peaceful, Orderly, Says Ibas

Tinubu Hails Bishop Kukah At 73, Praises Priest’s Role In Democracy, Peace Building

Nigerian Prophet Fufeyin Gets Rousing Welcome In Ghana

EFCC ‘Misled’ Nigerians On Forfeiture Of N5bn 246m NAPL Shares – Ex-MD’s Lawyers

Katsina Gov’t Revokes Private, Community School Licences

Police Rescue Kidnapped Ondo Health Worker

CHAN 2025: Morocco Beat Madagascar To Win Record 3rd Title

Kaduna ADC Stakeholders Accuse El-Rufai Of Attempt To Hijack Party

Thwarting The Perfidious Activities Of Self-Proclaimed CSOs In Kano Politics

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.