• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Sunday, August 31, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Ex-Borno Commissioner Challenges Minister On Insurgency

by Francis Okoye
5 months ago
in News
APC logo flag

APC logo flag

Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

A chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and former commissioner for trade, commerce and industry, Hon Yerima Lawan Kareto, has invited the minister of information and national orientation,

Advertisement

Mohammed Idris to visit Borno and follow him to Damasak, the headquarters of Mobbar local government area.

Kareto who hails from Damasak, hitherto a liberated town bordering Niger Republic and about 190.5km drive from Maiduguri, the state capital, said he would personally drive the minister to enable him see things for himself before making any statement on the renewed Boko Haram onslaught in the region.
Recall that at the end of an Expanded Security Council Meeting of heads of security agencies, traditional rulers and other stakeholders in Maiduguri on Tuesday, Governor Babagana Zulum, who chaired the meeting suggested that the state might lose control to Boko Haram insurgents due to the renewed attacks which have so far killed many people and dislodged military formations in Wulgo, Sabon Gari, Wajirko, Izge, among others.

However, in a press statement issued on Wednesday, the minister disagreed with Zulum’s claim, saying the administration remained committed to combating terrorism and banditry across the nation.
He argued that the security agencies were working round-the-clock to bring the situation in parts of Borno and other states under control.

The minister’s statement attracted wide public condemnation. Although, a day after (Thursday, April 10), the minister’s media aide, Rabiu Ibrahim, ‘back- pedalled,’ describing the report credited to his boss as “categorically false and a gross distortion of the minister’s remarks.”

RELATED

CP-PDP Cautions Ibas On Rivers Allocation, Notifies EFCC

Rivers LG Polls Peaceful, Orderly, Says Ibas

5 hours ago
Bishop Kukah Endorses ‘Japa’, Encourages Young Nigerians To Leave

Tinubu Hails Bishop Kukah At 73, Praises Priest’s Role In Democracy, Peace Building

5 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

Ibrahim stressed that, at no point did the minister say, “Ignore Zulum, Boko Haram has not taken over Borno.”

However, reacting in a press statement signed by Hon Kareto at the week end, the former Borno commissioner said, such terse statement from the minister’s media aide alleging that he (the minister) was misquoted, is not enough, but inviting Idris to Borno would also avail him the opportunity to personally tender apology to the government and people of Borno State.

Kareto expressed shock that the minister would sit at his comfort zone in Abuja and be dishing out statement himself or through his media aide on the subject matter. He insisted that such back-pedalling tactics were not enough to make the government and the people of Borno believe that he (Minister Idris) was actually misquoted.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Let me inform the minister that such statement is not enough to cool the high tensions raised on the resilient Borno people who have trust and confidence on Governor Babagana Zulum’s good governance, this can be attested to numerous people-oriented projects and the unrelenting support in cash and kind to security agencies since 2019.

“Minister Idris has to come to Borno under my personal invitation to follow me to Damasak. This would avail him the opportunity to tender an unreserved apology and to tell Nigerians whether Governor Zulum, the Shehu of Borno, Dr Abubakar Garbai Al-Amin El-Kanemi and heads of security agencies who deliberated extensively on the renewed attacks, were better informed that Borno is losing ground to terrorists or not.”

Kareto urged Governor Zulum and the security agencies, especially the troops on the frontline not to be deterred by the minister’scomments but remain committed and focused in the fight against the renewed killings and other criminalities bedevilling many communities in the state.


Join Our WhatsApp Channel



Tags: Insurgency
SendShare10172Tweet6358Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Zulum Named UN SDGs Global Champion

Next Post

Fedpoly Bauchi Pledges Academic Excellence

Francis Okoye

Francis Okoye

You May Like

CP-PDP Cautions Ibas On Rivers Allocation, Notifies EFCC
News

Rivers LG Polls Peaceful, Orderly, Says Ibas

2025/08/30
Bishop Kukah Endorses ‘Japa’, Encourages Young Nigerians To Leave
News

Tinubu Hails Bishop Kukah At 73, Praises Priest’s Role In Democracy, Peace Building

2025/08/30
Nigerian Prophet Fufeyin Gets Rousing Welcome In Ghana
News

Nigerian Prophet Fufeyin Gets Rousing Welcome In Ghana

2025/08/30
EFCC ‘Misled’ Nigerians On Forfeiture Of N5bn 246m NAPL Shares – Ex-MD’s Lawyers
News

EFCC ‘Misled’ Nigerians On Forfeiture Of N5bn 246m NAPL Shares – Ex-MD’s Lawyers

2025/08/30
Katsina Gov’t Revokes Private, Community School Licences
News

Katsina Gov’t Revokes Private, Community School Licences

2025/08/30
‘I Remain Neutral In Chieftaincy Matters,’ Says Aiyedatiwa
News

‘I Remain Neutral In Chieftaincy Matters,’ Says Aiyedatiwa

2025/08/30
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Premier League Addresses Fulham’s Disallowed Goal In Chelsea Encounter

Rivers LG Polls Peaceful, Orderly, Says Ibas

Tinubu Hails Bishop Kukah At 73, Praises Priest’s Role In Democracy, Peace Building

Nigerian Prophet Fufeyin Gets Rousing Welcome In Ghana

EFCC ‘Misled’ Nigerians On Forfeiture Of N5bn 246m NAPL Shares – Ex-MD’s Lawyers

Katsina Gov’t Revokes Private, Community School Licences

Police Rescue Kidnapped Ondo Health Worker

CHAN 2025: Morocco Beat Madagascar To Win Record 3rd Title

Kaduna ADC Stakeholders Accuse El-Rufai Of Attempt To Hijack Party

Thwarting The Perfidious Activities Of Self-Proclaimed CSOs In Kano Politics

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.