The Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, has strongly defended the recent hike in passport fees, saying the increase is part of a broader reform agenda aimed at stamping out corruption, enhancing security, and restoring the Nigerian passport’s integrity as a global identity document.
Speaking during the ongoing ministry’s mid-term performance retreat in Abuja, Tunji-Ojo revealed that a newly established centralised personlisation centre will fast-track passport processing, while reducing human contact and eliminating bottlenecks.
He said, “Passport Control Officers (PCOs) will no longer have the authority to approve or delay applications. This decision os targeted at dismantling entrenched corruption networks within the system.
“Some PCOs had so much power that they could decide not to approve or print a passport until they were settled. That abuse of power ends now,” the minister said firmly.
He further assured Nigerians that going forward, the processing of passport applications will not exceed seven days after successful submission, adding that the government is committed to transparency, accountability, and service delivery.
Highlighting the risks of lax systems, Tunji-Ojo disclosed a startling incident: “In one incident, a Ugandan woman carrying a Nigerian passport was arrested at Lagos Airport after paying $1,000 to procure it. That cannot continue, as our passport must remain a true symbol of Nigerian identity,” he declared.
Recall that the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), in a statement signed by its public relations officer, ACI AS Akinlabi, had earlier announced that effective September 1, 2025, the cost of applying for passports within Nigeria will rise to N100,000 for the 32-page, five-year validity document, and N200,000 for the 64-page, 10-year validity version.
However, fees for Nigerians in the diaspora remain unchanged at $150 and $230 respectively.
According to the minister, the price adjustment is not arbitrary. “It’s about sustainability. If we want a system free of bribery, delays, and fraud, we must invest in that system. This is not just a hike; it’s a commitment to a new standard.”
Cost Now Exceeds Worker’s Monthly Wage- Peter Obi
Former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, has faulted the federal government’s decision to double the cost of obtaining international passports, describing it as another show of insensitivity to the economic struggles of everyday Nigerians.
In a statement shared via X (formerly Twitter), Obi expressed concern over what he called the government’s obsession with burdening citizens instead of offering relief.
“The obsession of this administration with putting a burden on the populace is becoming legendary and continues to reveal its apparent disconnect with the people and the suffering,” Obi wrote.
He added, “Instead of making life easier, this government keeps shifting the burden onto ordinary Nigerians. It is alarming that the price of the international passport is higher than what workers earn in a month.”
Obi’s criticism comes amid rising concern over the soaring cost of living in Nigeria, with several citizens and experts questioning the affordability of essential services under ongoing economic reforms.
A social commentator, Mr. Alex Adagi, took a jab at the government in his typical satirical style: “They say the passport is now more secure. But who needs a secure passport when they can’t afford to eat? You’ve priced Nigerians out of their own nationality.”
Human rights lawyer, Barrister Alobo Edu condemned the fee hike as “arbitrary and unconstitutional,” urging the government to reverse the decision. “You cannot deny citizens access to identity and mobility by pricing essential documents above their pay grade. It violates their rights,” he said.