Adamawa State government has begun the demolition of illegal structures at Jimeta Main Market to decongest it.
The commissioner for commerce and industry, Dr Ishaya John Dabari, told LEADERSHIP Friday in Yola yesterday that most of the shops had been pulled down and had blocked the market’s major four-entry gates and parking space.
Dabari said the exercise became necessary following the expiration of quit notices served to the traders three times by his ministry.
He pointed out that the traders were reminded again last week about the government’s plan to demolish illegal structures that had taken over the market.
“The government would not allow traders to erect kiosks and place containers at the market entry gates and parking spaces.
“Illegal structures have taken over the Puja Market; we need to revert to the master plan,” he said.
Traders were denied entry into the market as task forces were deployed to ensure compliance with the directives.
Dabari said the affected persons were duly notified and served quit notice three times, adding that last week, the traders were also reminded again. He noted that adequate security was put on the ground to ensure safe demolition.
We’ve got the edge. Get real-time reports, breaking scoops, and exclusive angles delivered straight to your phone. Don’t settle for stale news. Join LEADERSHIP NEWS on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates →
Join Our WhatsApp Channel