Armed men suspected to be kidnappers on Thursday, ambushed an 18-seater passenger bus belonging to Benue Links, killing the driver, one passenger and abducting the 13 occupants of the vehicle in Ikobi village, Otukpo local government area of Benue State.
Residents told our correspondent that the assailants ambushed the bus, shooting the driver and a passenger before forcing the other passengers into the bush, leaving a toddler behind.
The management of Benue Links announced the attack on the bus bearing the registration number PP512 which was en-route to Otukpo from Makurdi.
The management, in a statement through its information officer, Johnson Ehi, said the incident occurred on Thursday evening near the Otukpo Burnt Bricks Company.
According him, the driver of the 18-seater bus, Samuel Agege, and a front-seat passenger were fatally shot by the attackers while the gunmen abducted the remaining passengers.
He said out of the 18 passengers on board, one had earlier disembarked at Taraku town before the incident while three of the passengers escaped.
“The management of Benue Links Nigeria Limited extends its deepest condolences to families of the deceased and stands in solidarity with those whose loved ones are in captivity.
“We assure the general public that the management is in constant communication with security agencies who are making concerted efforts to rescue the abducted passengers.”
Benue State police spokesperson Catherine Anene confirmed receiving a report on the incident but gave no details.
We’ve got the edge. Get real-time reports, breaking scoops, and exclusive angles delivered straight to your phone. Don’t settle for stale news. Join LEADERSHIP NEWS on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates →
Join Our WhatsApp Channel