• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Friday, August 29, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Obi, Datti-Ahmed Kick Over Federal Govt’s Treason Allegation

by Tunde Oguntola and Sunday Isuwa
2 years ago
in Cover Stories
obi
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

 

Advertisement

The Nigeria Labour Party (LP) has accused the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, of misinforming the international community.

The federal government, through Lai Mohammed had accused the Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi and his running mate, Yusuf Datti Bab-Ahmed, of treason during an engagement with journalists in the US, arguing that the duo had been inciting people to violence in the aftermath of the 2023 general election.

But in its reaction, the national chairman of the Labour Party, Barr Julius Abure, said that it is the APC spokesmen that are heating up the polity.

Abure said the information minister had gone on a familiarisation tour of misinforming the international community of the true political situation in Nigeria.

RELATED

FG, ASUU Dispute Lingers As Minister Denies ‘Past Agreements’

FG, ASUU Dispute Lingers As Minister Denies ‘Past Agreements’

9 hours ago
17-yr-old Nafisa Beats 69 Countries To Win Global English Contest

FG Awards 17-year-Old Nafisa N200,000 For Clinching World Title In English

9 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

LEADERSHIP reports that during his official engagements with some international media organisations in Washington DC, Mohammed admonished Obi against whipping up sentiments across Nigeria.

“The Minister who engaged respectively with the Washington Post, Voice of America, Associated Press and Foreign Policy Magazine said it was wrong for Obi on one breadth to seek redress in court over the outcome of the polls and on another breadth inciting people to violence.

“Let me state categorically that there is no basis for that admonition. Our presidential candidate is a peaceful and law abiding person. Despite the fact that the election was provocatively rigged, he decided to be peaceful and toe the part of justice. And in spite of all pressures from our supporters to move into the street to protest the outcome of the general election and to reclaim the mandate freely given to our candidate by the people, he has decided to calm nerves in order to give the judicial process a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The presidential candidate of the Labour Party is the only candidate whose campaign was issues-based. In spite of all provocation, it was the Labour Party and its candidate that were attacked in Lagos, in Port Harcourt and all other states in the federation. But we have continued to promote peace.

“Therefore, for the Minister of Information and Culture to be admonishing our presidential candidate, was done in bad faith. We therefore caution the Minister to desist from such utterances. It is our considered opinion that it is even the APC, through their spokespersons and all others, who have been engaged in provocative utterances in order to cause chaos that should be admonished. The admonition is largely for APC themselves, their spokespersons and their officials,” Abure said.

Meanwhile, Peter Obi has reacted to the various campaigns of calumny directed at him by some government and political party spokespersons and warned that they should stop their de-marketing process that is presenting Nigeria in a very bad light.

In a statement yesterday in Abuja, Obi said, “In the past few days, I’ve observed various campaigns of calumny directed at my person, the latest being allegations attributed to Information Minister Lai Mohammed from Washington DC.

“It is most unfortunate that these consistent efforts to portray me quite contrary to what I am and my core values are coming from such high quarters. Minister Lai accusing me of stoking insurrection is malicious and fictitious.

“I have never discussed or encouraged anyone to undermine the Nigerian state; I’ve never sponsored or preached any action against the Nigerian state. Those initiating these actions have increasingly used their official positions and agents to make false allegations against me. I’m on record as always advocating peace and issue-based campaigns and not campaigning based on ethnicity or religion.”

He asserted that he is committed to due process which is why he is presently seeking redress in court, even as he urged those engaged in this demarketing process to stop presenting Nigeria in such a bad light.

“Our future generations deserve a new Nigeria where they can live a secure and decent life like their counterparts in other climes. It is possible,” he added.

The federal government accused Obi of treason, weeks after the candidate of the ruling party won a hotly contested presidential election.

Lai Mohammed stated the government’s position during engagements with journalists in Washington DC in the United States yesterday.

Mohammed accused the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, of inciting people to violence over the outcome of the presidential elections, saying it is treasonable.

“Obi and his Vice, Datti-Ahmed cannot be threatening Nigerians that if the president-elect, Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is sworn in on May 29, it will be the end of democracy in Nigeria.

 

“This is treason. You cannot be inviting insurrection, and this is what they are doing. Obi’s statement is that of a desperate person; he is not a democrat that he claimed to be. A democrat should not believe in democracy only when he wins election,” he said.

 

Mr Obi came third in the 25th February, 2023 presidential election won by Bola Tinubu of the ruling APC.

 

Mr Obi and Atiku Abubakar who came second are, however, challenging the results of the election in court, saying the election and result collation was flawed. Both men have publicly called on their supporters to refrain from violence while they challenge the results in court.

 

The minister had so far engaged respectively with the “Washington Post”, Voice of America, Associated Press and Foreign Policy Magazine.

 

During the respective interactions with the media organisations, the minister said it was wrong for Mr Obi on one breadth to seek redress in court over the outcome of the polls and on another breadth incite people to violence.

 

The minister said in challenging the election results, there was no pathway to victory for either Mr Obi or Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). According to the minister, both Obi and Atiku failed to meet the constitutional requirements to be declared as president.

 

“The constitution has stringent criteria for anybody who wants to be president of the country. Not only must he have the plurality of votes cast in an election, he must also have scored one-quarter of votes cast in at least 25 states.

 

“Only the president-elect met the criteria by scoring 8.79 million votes and having one-quarter of all the vote cast in 29 states of the federation,” he said.

 

The minister said Atiku came second with 6.9 million votes but was only able to make one-quarter of the votes cast in 21 states.

 

He said Obi came third with 5.8 million votes but won only one-quarter of the votes cast in 15 states.

 

“You cannot win an election in a poll where you came a distant third position and failed to meet constitutional requirements. Peter Obi, while complaining of fraud, has not disowned his victory in Lagos,” he said.

 

Elaborating on his mission to the US, Mr Mohammed said he was there to correct the negative narratives being promoted by naysayers and opposition to the election.

 

He said the opposition, having lost in the election, was alleging fraud, calling for its cancellation and constitution of an interim government.

 

“We have come here to balance those skewed narratives and to tell the world unambiguously that the just concluded general elections in Nigeria are the fairest, most transparent and authentic in the history of Nigeria.

 

“The election is the most fair and credible because of the introduction of Bimodal Voters Verification System (BVAS) which I regard as a game changer. BVAS technology had helped to weed out ghost and illegal voters, eliminate multiple voting and return sanity to the elections,” Mr Mohammed said.

 

Relying on the INEC report, the minister said BVAS, during the polls, worked 97 per cent, giving unparalleled credibility to the elections.

 

 


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


SendShare10180Tweet6362Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Bandits Make Fresh N100m Demand In Niger

Next Post

APC Governors Meet Today As Race For 10th NASS Leadership Intensifies

Tunde Oguntola and Sunday Isuwa

Tunde Oguntola and Sunday Isuwa

You May Like

FG, ASUU Dispute Lingers As Minister Denies ‘Past Agreements’
Cover Stories

FG, ASUU Dispute Lingers As Minister Denies ‘Past Agreements’

2025/08/29
17-yr-old Nafisa Beats 69 Countries To Win Global English Contest
Cover Stories

FG Awards 17-year-Old Nafisa N200,000 For Clinching World Title In English

2025/08/29
Mechanical Engineer From Kwara — All You Need To Know About New NNPCL Boss Bashir Ojulari
Cover Stories

NNPCL Planning Joint Operations With Private Refiners To Rescue Refineries – Ojulari

2025/08/29
PDP Southern Ticket: Lobby For Jonathan, Obi’s Return Hots Up
Cover Stories

PDP Southern Ticket: Lobby For Jonathan, Obi’s Return Hots Up

2025/08/28
Residents Fighting Bandits With Stones Made Me Buy Arms – Katsina Lawmaker
Cover Stories

Residents Fighting Bandits With Stones Made Me Buy Arms – Katsina Lawmaker

2025/08/28
JUST-IN: NRC Suspends Abuja-Kaduna Train Services After Derailment
Cover Stories

Minister Sets Up 12-man Panel To Probe Train Derailment As NRC MD Apologises

2025/08/28
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

NSCDC Officer Arrested Over Death Of Police Officer, Unlawful Obstruction

Anambra Gov’t Bans Use Of Textbooks For Writing Assignments In Schools

Germany Warns Citizens To Vacate Iran Amid Retaliation Concerns

Fenerbahce Sack Mourinho After Champions League Exit

JUST-IN: Thailand Court Sacks Prime Minister Shinawatra Over Misconduct

Federal Gov’t Unveils Boards Of South, West, North Dev’t Commissions

‘How I Became Bank Manager At 27’ — Tony Elumelu

‘Best Decision Of My Life’, Falz Announces Introduction To ‘Mystery’ Woman

Community, Bandit Leaders Sign Accord To End Insecurity In Katsina

Mixed Reactions Trail Federal Govt’s Passport Fee Hike

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.