An attendant at a gas refilling outlet and seven students of the Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, Kwara State, have sustained injuries during a fire incident at the gas refilling shop near a students’ hostel.
LEADERSHIP gathered that the fire incident resulting from an explosion occurred at Destiny Villa, Dola Abinbola street, on Saturday night.
The spokesman of Kwara State Fire Service, Hakeem Adekunle, confirmed the incident in a statement on Sunday.
Adekunle said that the fire started when a gas attendant at the nearby gas shop was refilling a gas cylinder.
“The cylinder fell and exploded, concurrently releasing gas from the charged hose used for refilling. This exacerbated the fire, resulting in injuries to seven Kwara State Polytechnic students and the gas attendant.
“The firemen promptly departed from the station and upon arrival at the scene, they encountered a building with about 17 self-contained rooms fully ablaze. Four rooms were affected, and eight individuals sustained injuries,” he added.
Adekunle disclosed that the total estimated property loss was valued at N14.6 million, while the total estimated property saved was N72.2 million.