Nigeria Tennis Federation (NTF) President Dayo Akindoju has assured the growth of the game in Nigeria.
In the wake of outbursts by a player that he turned his back on wheelchair tennis, following Nigeria’s inability to attend the ongoing African qualifiers in Kenya, Akindoju, said there was no iota of truth in that, stressing that the outburst of the player was misplaced.
Last week, an aggrieved wheelchair tennis player alleged that the sport had been abandoned by the president, since he assumed office last June.
“I have always meant well for the game and it is unfortunate that the player who accused me has not been following trends since I became president of the tennis federation.
“For example, he should know that after the elections, I invited the secretary of the wheelchair tennis department of the NTF and two of their representatives to Abuja and the only item on the agenda of that meeting was how to take wheelchair tennis to the next level.
“If I didn’t mean well for wheelchair tennis, I would not have hosted that meeting which was very fruitful,because some issues were properly explained,” he said.
Akindoju added that a major step the board took after inauguration was the appointment of Professor Okunleye to be in charge of wheelchair tennis, stressing that such has never happened in the history of wheelchair tennis in Nigeria.
Akindoju reiterated his commitment to ensure the country never missed out of international tournaments, despite not receiving any money from the Sports Ministry since inauguration in June last year.
“The board will meet on February 22 and, at the end of that meeting, will come out with our programme for the year. Wheelchair tennis would be adequately catered for,” he assured.