• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Friday, August 29, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Japan Earthquake: Death Toll Rises To 73

by Leadership News
2 years ago
in News
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

At least 73 people are now known to have died in the quake that hit Japan on New Year’s Day as search for more bodies continues at Ishikawa, the epicentre and other parts affected by the quake.

Advertisement

According to a spokesperson for Ishikawa Prefecture, an unknown number remain missing, as authorities continue searching for those trapped under rubble or in cut-off areas.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi yesterday said 70 people had been rescued overnight and officials were rushing to meet a request to deploy rescue dogs. The number of missing people was still being counted, he said.

The quake shook the Noto Peninsula, located on the western, more rural side of central Japan, triggering tsunami alerts, fires and collapsed buildings. Photos across the region showed entire multi-story buildings had fallen on their side, burned structures and rubble where houses once stood.

Infrastructure damage remains a major challenge, Hayashi said Wednesday. Roads in and around the peninsula are blocked, though some routes are being cleared for vehicles to deliver food and essentials to the impacted areas, he said.

RELATED

US Vetoes Call For ‘Immediate Ceasefire’ In Gaza

US Connecticut State Declares August 23 Ex-APC Presidential Aspirant’s Day

45 minutes ago
Oyinlola, Oyedokun Say Adeleke Proved Naysayers Wrong In Osun

ADC, A Group Of Failed Politicians, Says PDP

46 minutes ago
ADVERTISEMENT

For some, the quake brought back memories of the 2011 Tōhoku 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami, which triggered a nuclear meltdown at the Fukushima power plant. It left more than 22,000 dead or missing, most of them from tsunami waves, with the long-term impact still felt to this day.

While the extent of the damage from Monday’s quake is still being assessed, the death toll and levels of destruction appear to be far from that wrought by the 2011 disaster in a country long used to earthquakes and where building codes, even in more remote areas, are strictly adhered to.

At its centre, the remnants of its old marketplace are still smouldering, as if an explosion had just erupted, wiping out an area the size of a football pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT

A fire broke out when the New Year‘s Day earthquake hit, and spread instantly, incinerating the wooden stalls and some surrounding homes. Twisted fragments of corrugated iron are scattered among the ash. Firefighters are still combing the smoking debris, checking for unextinguished flames.

Throughout the town, people‘s traditional wooden homes lie splintered on the ground, collapsed; not made to withstand Japan‘s endless earthquakes.

Other areas on the remote Noto Peninsula on Japan‘s west coast, where the quake struck, are also isolated. Further north, the town of Suzu is inaccessible by road, and the scale of the destruction is unclear.

According to the town‘s mayor, Masuhiro Izumiya, almost none of its houses are standing. Around 90% are completely or almost completely collapsed, he said. A small tsunami struck the city one minute after the quake. Food and aid are arriving by boat, but local officials say they were having to go door-to-door to check for survivors.

More than 30,000 people are still in shelters, with some towns lacking water, electricity and internet connection. One woman, sheltering at the evacuation centre in Wajima with her injured husband, said even at the centre there was not enough food and water, and the queues at the only open shop snaked down the road.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, announced plans to multiply the number of military and rescue personnel providing relief. He has admitted that rescue efforts have been hindered by the extreme damage to the roads.

 


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


Tags: Japan Earthquake
SendShare10171Tweet6357Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

APC Professionals Council Visits Ambode

Next Post

Aviation Company Trains Defence Staff On Financial Management

Leadership News

Leadership News

You May Like

US Vetoes Call For ‘Immediate Ceasefire’ In Gaza
News

US Connecticut State Declares August 23 Ex-APC Presidential Aspirant’s Day

2025/08/29
Oyinlola, Oyedokun Say Adeleke Proved Naysayers Wrong In Osun
News

ADC, A Group Of Failed Politicians, Says PDP

2025/08/29
Tinubu’s Neo-liberal Policies Can’t Achieve Anything In 40 Years – Adebayo
News

Tinubu Can Still Be Competitive In 2027 If… – SDP Adebayo

2025/08/29
Lakurawa: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Charges Federal Gov’t To Crush New Terror Group 
News

2027: Igbo Free To Contest Presidential Election – Ohanaeze

2025/08/29
God First Ministry To Mark 36th Anniversary With Charity
News

God First Ministry To Mark 36th Anniversary With Charity

2025/08/29
Alleged Bias: Opposition Mounts Against ICC
News

NAN Berates Senator Adamu Over ICC Petition On Kaduna By-Election

2025/08/29
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

2025/26 UEFA Champions League Phase Draw, Fixtures Unveiled

2027: PDP Considering Obi, Jonathan, Says Gov Mohammed

Man Utd Reject Mainoo Loan Request

Chelsea Agree £40m Fee With Man Utd For Garnacho

Tottenham Nears £51.8m Deal For Leipzig’s Simons

US Connecticut State Declares August 23 Ex-APC Presidential Aspirant’s Day

ADC, A Group Of Failed Politicians, Says PDP

Tinubu Can Still Be Competitive In 2027 If… – SDP Adebayo

2027: Igbo Free To Contest Presidential Election – Ohanaeze

ADC Tackles INEC Over New Voter Registration Figures

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.