• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Friday, August 29, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Niger: Coup Leaders Threaten To Kill Bazoum If ECOWAS Military Intervenes 

by Leadership News..
2 years ago
in Foreign News, News
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

Coup Leaders in Niger have threatened to kill ousted President Mohamed Bazoum if neighbouring countries attempt any military intervention to reinstate him by ECOWAS.

Advertisement

 

LEADERSHIP reports that ECOWAS, on Thursday directed its standby force to take action with the aim of reinstating constitutional order in the Niger Republic.

 

Shortly after the directive was issued, two “Western officials” said the putschists issued the threat while speaking to a top U.S. diplomat, the Associated Press reported on Friday.

RELATED

Tubotamuno Launches ‘The Elite Wanderer’ To Turn Wealth Into Power, Legacy

Tubotamuno Launches ‘The Elite Wanderer’ To Turn Wealth Into Power, Legacy

3 hours ago
Bauchi To Pay Leave Grant To LG Workers

2027: Why PDP Must Present Southern Christian Candidate — Bauchi Gov

3 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

 

The threat to the deposed president raises the stakes both for ECOWAS and for the junta, which has shown its willingness to escalate its actions since it seized power on July 26.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Niger was seen as the last country in the Sahel region south of the Sahara Desert that Western nations could partner with to counter jihadi violence linked to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group that has killed thousands and displaced millions of people.

 

The AP report disclosed that a Western military official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said representatives of the junta told U.S. Under Secretary of State Victoria Nuland of the threat to Bazoum during her visit to the country this week.

 

A U.S. official reportedly confirmed that account, also speaking on condition of anonymity, because they were not authorised to speak to the media.

 

The threats from both sides escalate tensions but hopefully nudge them closer to actually talking, said Aneliese Bernard, a former U.S. State Department official who specialised in African affairs and is now director of Strategic Stabilization Advisors, a risk advisory group.

 

“Still, this junta has escalated its moves so quickly that it’s possible they do something more extreme, as that has been their approach so far,” she cautioned.

 

LEADERSHIP reports that Nine leaders from the 15-member West African bloc met Thursday in Abuja, to discuss their next steps.

 

Speaking after the talks, President of the ECOWAS Commission, Omar Alieu Touray, said he could only reaffirm the decisions by “the military authorities in the subregion to deploy a standby force of the community.”

 

Financing had been discussed and “appropriate measures have been taken,” he said.

 

He blamed the junta for any hardship caused by the sanctions imposed on Niger and said further actions by the bloc would be taken jointly.

 

“It is not one country against another country. The community has instruments to which all members have subscribed to,” he said.

 

A former British Army official who has worked in Nigeria told the AP the ECOWAS statement could be seen as the green light to begin assembling their forces with the ultimate aim of restoring constitutional order.

 

With regard to the use of force, the official, who was not authorised to speak to the media, said there was currently nothing in place other than Nigerian forces. Without enablers and the support of other regional armies, it’s unlikely they’d enter, the official said.

 

Harsh economic and travel sanctions were imposed on Niger by ECOWAS but analysts say it may be running out of options as support fades for intervention. The bloc has failed to stem past coups in the region: Niger is the fourth of its member states to undergo a coup in the last three years.


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


SendShare10241Tweet6401Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Reps Summon NFF Over Super Falcons’ Bonus Impasse

Next Post

Atuonwu To Replace Nwosu as APC National Welfare Officer

Leadership News..

Leadership News..

You May Like

Tubotamuno Launches ‘The Elite Wanderer’ To Turn Wealth Into Power, Legacy
News

Tubotamuno Launches ‘The Elite Wanderer’ To Turn Wealth Into Power, Legacy

2025/08/28
Bauchi To Pay Leave Grant To LG Workers
News

2027: Why PDP Must Present Southern Christian Candidate — Bauchi Gov

2025/08/28
Akure Monarch Shuts Markets, Shops For Amole Festival
News

Akure Monarch Shuts Markets, Shops For Amole Festival

2025/08/28
Federal Gov’t To End Police Escort Misuse By VIPs, Says Hadiza Bala-Usman
News

Federal Gov’t To End Police Escort Misuse By VIPs, Says Hadiza Bala-Usman

2025/08/28
Tax Bills, Electoral Reforms, Anambra Poll May Shape 2025
News

INEC Allays ADC’s Fears Over Voter Registration Figures

2025/08/28
How DSS Prevented Religious Crisis In Oyo
News

Benue, Plateau Killings: DSS Files Criminal Charge Against 9 Suspects

2025/08/28
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Tubotamuno Launches ‘The Elite Wanderer’ To Turn Wealth Into Power, Legacy

2027: Why PDP Must Present Southern Christian Candidate — Bauchi Gov

Akure Monarch Shuts Markets, Shops For Amole Festival

Federal Gov’t To End Police Escort Misuse By VIPs, Says Hadiza Bala-Usman

INEC Allays ADC’s Fears Over Voter Registration Figures

JUST-IN: Besiktas Sack Ole Gunnar Solskjær As Head Coach

Benue, Plateau Killings: DSS Files Criminal Charge Against 9 Suspects

Federal Gov’t Hails Ex-Perm Secs’ Council For Bolstering Governance

Niger Delta Coalition Backs NNPCL Boss, Passes Confidence Vote On Tinubu

Gombe Gov Meets VON DG, Pledges Continued Support, Robust Partnership

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.