Security forces have rescued the two officials of the United States consulate who were missing after the attack on their convoy by hoodlums along Atani-Ossomala road in Ogbaru local government area of Anambra State.
The commissioner of police in the state, Echeng Echeng, had on Thursday confirmed that seven persons, including three personnel of the US consulate and four mobile policemen escorting their convoy of two vehicles were killed by the hoodlums who thereafter set their bodies and vehicles ablaze, adding that that two other officials of the consulate were missing.
He said joint security operatives comprising the police, army and navy were later deployed to the hoodlums’ hideout at Ogwuaniocha community in Ogbaru local government and that after razing their camp there two suspects were arrested and were giving helpful information to the police concerning the attack.
The public relations officer of the state police command, DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, yesterday stated that the two missing US consulate officials had been rescued.
“Operations are still ongoing and further details shall be communicated, please,” he said.
The US consulate officials were said to have traveled to Ogbaru local government on a mission to assess erosion problem in the area when they were attacked by criminals, CP Echeng said they were members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Eastern Security Network (ESN).